Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 02:06 PM

Default System requirements with S3L-X

I noticed on the System Requirements page that a Thiunderbolt port is required with Mac computers ("no Mac Pro computers at this time"). It seems to me that they are saying it's for for Ethernet (AVB) connection. The PDF System Guide says Ethernet port or Thunderbolt Ethernet. I'm considering this system and would like clarification.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Avid

Default Re: System requirements with S3L-X

Hi Richard,

You can connect to a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter or a built-in ethernet port. The mac must have Thunderbolt though (only macs with Thunderbolt capability have support for AVB).

Some macs like earlier mac minis have both ethernet and thunderbolt so that's why the PDF guide says you can use either.

Thanks, hopefully that is clear.
-MikeZ
Old 10-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanks. It makes complete sense. I think your quick explanation should have been on the System Requirements Mac page, but hopefully this thread can serve the same purpose. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Richard,

Correct, as stated above---you need a Mac that has a THUNDERBOLT port as part of the original design in order for the computer to be seen by the S3L, or vice versa that the S3L sees the computer for the Pro Tools option. It's also best to have Mavericks on your machine for overall support and compatibility. What is the application you're looking into the S3L system for--and what size? I mean, is this for a church, club, touring band, etc?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 PM

Are there any workarounds for making non-thunderbolt Macbook Pro working with AVB?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 10-10-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
Are there any workarounds for making non-thunderbolt Macbook Pro working with AVB?
I might not have the exact technical answer here, but it's more the fact that computers without the thunderbolt port are basically machines that are too old to support this technology. Those with thunderbolt ports are current enough to support AVB. In fact AVB support is built-into the latest Mavericks operating system, a previous version required you to install that onto your Mac. I have a 12-core Mac Pro----believe me with Mavericks, believe me I'd love more than anything for that to be compatible with my demo S3L system I keep at the office.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
I might not have the exact technical answer here, but it's more the fact that computers without the thunderbolt port are basically machines that are too old to support this technology. Those with thunderbolt ports are current enough to support AVB. In fact AVB support is built-into the latest Mavericks operating system, a previous version required you to install that onto your Mac. I have a 12-core Mac Pro----believe me with Mavericks, believe me I'd love more than anything for that to be compatible with my demo S3L system I keep at the office.

Nah, sounds like it's built to only work with the Intel consumer chipsets (Mini, MBP, nMP).
Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 AM

The AVB will definitely not work without a thunderbolt equipped mac. Save yourself the headache and get a new computer. You can use the entry model mac mini with thunderbolt and it will never crash, as long as your ethernet to thunderbolt adaptor stays snug inside. Ive only had issues with pro tools crashing when the slightest movement hit the cable on the computer end.

Bobby Crown
www.crownaudio.co