Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Default EMI Noise: Graphics card to HD Native card

Hi!

Today I turned up the volume on my headphones and discovered what appears to be EMI (Electro-magnetic interference) from my graphics card getting picked up by the HD Native card.

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro (2.66GHz Quad-core Xeon "Nehalem" with 16 GB of RAM. The graphics card---I just discovered!---is an ATI Radeon (HD4870, likely) and NOT the standard Nvidia GeForce GT120.

With a Pro Tools 11 session up on the screen but not playing, i find that any changes in graphics (say opening a web browser window, clicking on buttons, opening up sub-menues, you name it) and I hear clicks, buzzes, etc. All are clearly associated with some change in the graphics.

My HD Native card was initially in the top-most PCIe slot. I tried moving it to the slot closest to the graphics card. But that did not reduce the graphics related noise.

I suspect the issue is either with the graphics card itself or with the HD Native card.

Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts?

Jack Prewitt
Rochester, NY