How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM

Default Problems with iLok (SOLVED)

Hi folks,
I just bought Pro Tools 10 and this is the first time that I have used Pro Tools.

I have installed it on a Windows 7 laptop.

I'm having some problems with the iLok part of things. They sent the USB drive in the Pro Tools Box and I have think that I have installed the client and the drivers for iLok correctly. One interesting thing is that I run the Google Chrome browser which apparently doesn't even exist in iLok's eyes. They highly encourage you to use IE or an old version of Firefox. Does anyone know why the browser type even matters? But I digress...

I must also mention that I bought a student license for PT10 and I think the ID process went OK. They use a company called identit-e and I received an email that said:
Regarding Product: Pro Tools 10 Student Full
Your Verification Code: EDU-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX
Status: Your request for eligibility verification was accepted.

Does that mean it was approved or that they'll look at it. Very ambiguous.

I still go to the iLok website (through IE) and it still shows that I have no licenses.

If I try to open Pro Tools it gives me a pop-up that reads: Error, missing iLog authorization for "Pro Tools 10". Please insert the necessary iLok and restart Pro Tools.

I must admit that this is the most difficult install of software that I have ever had to deal with. My impression right now is that iLok is not ready for primetime, but I'm hopeful that if I can just get by this hurdle I won't have to deal with them again.

Any help that you can provide with be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kier

---

Note: moderator has masked the verification code. no reason to volunteer giving possible hakcers extra information

Last edited by Bruce Paine; 04-03-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Marked Solved
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Problems with iLok

The browser type matters because iLok.com reaches into your computer through the browser and reads, installs or removes encrypted license keys stored on the ILok dongle (it is not exactly a "USB drive").

Either your iLok dongle came already activated with a license key on it or you have to register at the Avid web site and then behind the scenes Avid transfers a license to your iLok account which you then download from iLok.com to your iLok dongle.

None of this should be hard if you just follow the instructions that came with your purchased product and you use the Web browser that iLok.com is telling you that you need to.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM

I'm still having issues with iLok.

Note that I have the iLok dongle inserted for this entire sequence.

I am using IE and go to Avid's Activation screen and paste in the code that I received...

...it then transfers me to a screen that asks for my iLok id which I provide and press the submit button.

...it then transfers me to a screen that is blank except for the standard avid screen elements at the top.

I go to the iLok page and it says that I have zero licenses.

Why is this so complicated?

Cheers,
Kier
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

When you go to iLok.com and login with your account, does it recognize your iLok?
Have you registered your iLok to your account at iLok.com?

If you register and synchronize the iLok, you will be able to see if there are any licenses already on the iLok, or if you have any pending licenses in your iLok account ready for download to your iLok.

Check out the Help section at iLok.com if those terms are confusing, as it well might be for anyone that has never used the iLok website.

Fortunately, once you do get the hang of it, the iLok license is in my experience one of the easier ways to authorize, especially if you use more than one computer with your licenses. And you can use another computer to manage your iLok account, you don't have to use your Pro Tools computer necessarily.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM

Thanks for your patience on this. I finally figured it out.

I never use Internet Explorer and after I entered my Activation Code and iLok ID on the Avid website IE has a little prompt at the bottom if I want to download unsecure content. I totally missed it since they seem to have a prompt at the bottom of the screen for everything.

Once I selected Yes it took me to the place that actually created the license.

Cheers,
Kier