Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Default New to Pro Tools

My Mbox Pro currently is getting a blinking thing and I'm trying to figure it out. without further ado, I just got the Bundle yesterday and well, it was working fine for like an hour then it stared to blink, but I'm not here for this problem. When It was working, I couldn't what I was recording, I have the Engine choice to monitos but I couldn't hear it on my laptop nor on my speakers. I need help on how to get it so I can hear what I am recording once I'm done trying to figure why there is a blinking blue on my Mbox Pro so the hardware can detect it. Help!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Default Re: New to pro Tools.

Mac or PC?
computer type?

really you should follow the Help Us Help You first
with out some details it is impossible to know

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM

I got a MacBook Pro OS X. I'm sorry, when I signed up, it had a "let us know your specs" to let the viewers know what you are running, but there they are.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardxP View Post
My Mbox Pro currently is getting a blinking thing and I'm trying to figure it out. without further ado, I just got the Bundle yesterday and well, it was working fine for like an hour then it stared to blink, but I'm not here for this problem. When It was working, I couldn't what I was recording, I have the Engine choice to monitos but I couldn't hear it on my laptop nor on my speakers. I need help on how to get it so I can hear what I am recording once I'm done trying to figure why there is a blinking blue on my Mbox Pro so the hardware can detect it. Help!
Quote:
I got a MacBook Pro OS X. I'm sorry, when I signed up, it had a "let us know your specs" to let the viewers know what you are running, but there they are.
Not enough info. We need to know exactly what you have in your system. You have a MacBook Pro running OSX. Need more info like amount of ram, OSX version, PT version, how you have your system set up.

Further we need to know exactly what you were/are doing to get your 'blinking thing'. What's blinking? There's a bunch of leds on the front that are level meters. Those are supposed to blink up and down as your levels go up and down. Is it the power on led blinking?

We need to know exactly to what are you referring when you say you 'couldn't what you were recording'. Do you mean you couldn't hear what you were recording as you were recording (aka monitoring)? How did you have your PT session setup? If you were using an audio track in PT you need to have PT in record to hear audio back out of PT. The MBox may have input monitoring so look into that.

Can you play the demo session that comes with PT10? There will be some tracks that won't play because you don't have PT 10 HD or the Complete Production Toolkit which gives you stuff like VCA tracks and surround. If you can play this then that will give you an idea that your basic system setup is okay. Don't forget there's a bunch of stuff to setup in the various preference panes in PT that will affect usage, playback, etc.

Lastly - have you read the documentation that came with your purchase? There's a whole raft of pdf's that get installed on your computer when PT installs. Read through those. As is said many times - PT is NOT plug and play software.

QAPLA!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM

MacBook Pro 15 inch, Mid 2012.

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Software:OS X 10.8.3

The blinking is coming from the Mbox under the power label. It's a blue blinking light. At first when i recently got it, It was working fine but now every time I turn it on it goes straight into the blinking of the blue led under 'power'.

I'm new to Pro Tools. I don't know much of it, but since I've used Presonus before, It's kinda familiar. When I open up the software, I create a new blank project and create a new track to make sure everything goes well and I can record and hear it. I record a track and play back but I can
t hear what I recorded. I have my headphones connected to my laptop nothing happens, I connect my headphones into the Mbox and nothing, so again, I'm new to pretty much software for recording. Again this was when It was working, now I get the blue blinking led. My set up for now it's just My Korg Kronos X 88>Mbox Pro>MacBook Pro. No monitors just yet. That's all.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
MacBook Pro 15 inch, Mid 2012.

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Software:OS X 10.8.3

The blinking is coming from the Mbox under the power label. It's a blue blinking light. At first when i recently got it, It was working fine but now every time I turn it on it goes straight into the blinking of the blue led under 'power'.

I'm new to Pro Tools. I don't know much of it, but since I've used Presonus before, It's kinda familiar. When I open up the software, I create a new blank project and create a new track to make sure everything goes well and I can record and hear it. I record a track and play back but I can
t hear what I recorded. I have my headphones connected to my laptop nothing happens, I connect my headphones into the Mbox and nothing, so again, I'm new to pretty much software for recording. Again this was when It was working, now I get the blue blinking led. My set up for now it's just My Korg Kronos X 88>Mbox Pro>MacBook Pro. No monitors just yet. That's all.
Pro Tools is NOTHING like Presonus - it's a whole 'nother ball game. You have to read the documentation for your audio interface and Pro Tools as well as any other audio equipment you are using. We're not going to do that for you. The blinking blue light might not mean anything; then again maybe it does. Check the manual for any troubleshooting tips as there might be something to help there. If you're using the Mbox as your audio interface you need to have the headphones plugged into that and NOT your computer. Hold down the 'n' key on your computer when you start PT and that will allow you to select the audio interface you want to use - in this case the Mbox.

After you have read the PT and MBox docs and got everything hooked up like they say to do, get yourself a couple of 3rd party PT books. The one that would do you the most good right now would be the PT101 book linked to here: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-101-...=pro+tools+101

It's perfect for new PT users. It will help you to learn routing and such which seems to be your problem right now.

And when you get a bit more advanced get this book by the same author: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-10-P...s=pro+tools+10

Your computer seems powerful enough to run PT no problem. Something you're going to have to add is an external hard drive for PT to record to. No green drives and nothing below 7200 rpm platter speed.

QAPLA!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Alrighty! Thank you for your help. One more question; To clarify, I cannot hear what I record through my laptop, but I can when headphones connected to the Mbox?

Last edited by EdwardxP; 03-30-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Alrighty! Thank you for your help. One more question; To clarify, I cannot hear what I record through my laptop, but I can when headphones connected to the Mbox?
If you are using the Mbox as your audio I/O for Pro Tools and that's what PT is set for then yes.

QAPLA!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM

I have the Mbox connected and it is as my I/O in Pro Tools, but I cannot hear it. It is picking up signal and all, but I have my headphones connected into with volume cranked up but I hear nothing. I'll keep you updated. I'm assuming it is on my settings.