Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 11-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Default ilok needed?

I bought a Pro tools M-powered for Mac OS X 6.8 disc on ebay, but the thing is I didn't notice that it was the ONLY ITEM included! I'm waiting for it to arrive, but now I'm wondering if it's gonna run pro tools or not...

From what I read on the web, I suppose I'll need an Ilok... Is this true? And if so, what should I do about this? Please enlighten me on every little thing I should do now to make this work!

(Mind you, I have already got maudio hardware, of course!)
Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Avid

Default Re: ilok needed?

Not only will you need an iLok, but you'll need the actual Pro Tools M-Powered authorization that goes on the iLok.

A retail version of PTMP includes the iLok. If you purchase an authorization from someone other than an authorized dealer, you will need the iLok (and an account at iLok.com) to have the auth transferred to.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Not only will you need an iLok, but you'll need the actual Pro Tools M-Powered authorization that goes on the iLok.

A retail version of PTMP includes the iLok. If you purchase an authorization from someone other than an authorized dealer, you will need the iLok (and an account at iLok.com) to have the auth transferred to.
So how can I do that? Will I be ok if I just buy an Ilok and create an account on its website? Will I then have everything I need to run the PTMP [disc] I bought?

Thank you so much for the fast reply!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellifornia View Post
So how can I do that? Will I be ok if I just buy an Ilok and create an account on its website? Will I then have everything I need to run the PTMP [disc] I bought?

Thank you so much for the fast reply!
If you buy an iLok and create an account on the iLok site, you still need the authorization (which is really what you're paying for with the retail version).

The CD is not an authorization - it's just an installer CD. While it will allow you to install M-Powered, it does not give you the necessary iLok authorization to run it.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

And you should also know that you still need to have a compatible M-audio hardware interface to use Pro Tools M-Powered software. Click on the Compatibility link at the top of the forum, then click on the Pro Tools M-Powered for Mac OS X link that is on that page.

Unless you are running Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther), a Pro Tools M-Powered 6.8 disk is pretty useless, since it won't run on other operating system versions (or intel based Macs).