Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Default First time with pro tools!!

Hello everybody...
My first time posting here, hope I'm doing everything correctly!!

So, I'm making a professional studio, and I decided that I will go with pro tools HD X

Also, I would like to use the C24 surface...

But, as the title says, I haver never used pro tools before...
For me, everything just seem so complex!

I was thinking of getting the: "Avid Pro Tools|HDX System (HDX w/HD I/O 16x16 Analog)" (This kit comes with the software, the HD interface 16 analog I/O and 1 PCIe HDX card) and buying the C24 surface... I know it's not shipping yet, but I'll be traveling to the states only in 2012...

But, when I saw the back of the interface and the back of the C24, again, it seems SO complex for me...

I have never seen those outputs and inputs before, I have no idea on how to connect everything...

I always connected my preamps to my audio interface via ADAT or XLR cables... This is just a whole new world for me!!

I need some help here, the C24 + the kit will cost me around 22k dollars, and I really don't want to spend all that money, and don't even know how to connect things... I mean, I have no idea of how to connect my preamps to the interface nor the Surface..

If it is possible, can you guys tell me EVERYTHING I will need to run Pro tools HD with the C24 ? Cables, interfaces, etc etc etc...

Maybe it's already explained somewhere but I just can't find it anywhere, if it's possible, please send me a link...

How should I connect the interface to the computer, how I should connect the C24 to the interface, how I should connect my preamps to the interface, how should I connect the interface/the surface to my studio monitors, and so on... The only thing I know is that the C24 communicates to pro tools via Ethernet and that's all...

I know I'm really noob, I know I have a lot of questions, but I would be really thankful if somebody could help me...

Also, I leave in Brazil, and protools HD are really really really rare around here, it's almost impossible to buy it... So if I go to any dealer they won't be able to give me the information I need...

Another question I have is: Pro tools HD can have up to 256 channels, 256 busses, 512 auxiliary, etc... Will I be able to control that all with the C24 or a bigger surface is needed ?

I'm just so confused haha...

Thanks a lot everybody already!!

Cya~
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Default Re: First time with pro tools!!

wow, seems like a big investment into something you know nothing about. what format have you worked on before?

sounds like you might be better off partnering with someone who knows how to use the equipment.

and may i ask why you need all this gear?

honestly, the answers to your questions will be as over your head as the gear is, probably more.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM

maybe he used to record with Adats like he said... doesnt mean he doesnt need a brand spanking new super sweet HDX rig... im sure he knows what 22K is worth...I say go for it ... and if u need someone to hook it all up and give u lesson im for hire and i work relatively cheap
Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 AM

The connections you are looking at on the back of the interfaces are called "DB-25" cables. They carry 8 channels of audio. Some DB-25 cables break out into 8 XLR or 8 TRS.

The HDX card goes into a computer with a PCIe slot.

The interface (16x16) plugs into the HDX card via miniDigilink cable. (This will come with your setup).

As for the C|24, you might want to buy the C|24 cable kit for ~$2000. It has preamps on it that have outputs to plug in to your interface.

For hookup diagrams, just look at the user manuals. You can find those with a simple google search.
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)