Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2000, 08:10 PM

Default Firewire questions

Are there plans for a Digi001 that connects by Firewire rather than by PCI card? Or is that not technically feasible?

Also, is it possible to use Digi001 with a Firewire-connected external hard drive?

Thanks - Z.
Old 10-24-2000, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Firewire questions

HI Don,

"Also, is it possible to use Digi001 with a Firewire-connected external hard drive"?

Digi does not officially (the last time that I checked) support firewire drives for working off of.

That said. I am only working off of 2 firewire drives. (Thay need to spin at 7200rpm's though). From following some of the threads here. I got a PYRO (Firewire hard drive case) for $140 at outpost.com and a couple of Maxtor 40 gig ATA/ IDE hard drives on sale for $160 each at Staples. I put the drives in the PYRO Box in about 15 Minutes and Have been working off of them for the past 2 months. Sofar... so good. I do back everything up all the time. (Back up your stuff.. Again I have only been using them for 2 months). The prices of Firewire drives are starting to come down so you might want to look into getting a self contained firewire drive.

Good Luck

Larry
Old 10-24-2000, 07:43 AM

Larry M,

You put TWO drives in the Pyro case? I didn't realize that they would hold two. Am I undestanding you corectly?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2000, 10:23 AM

FWIW Glyph is now advertising (EQ/Mix) a firewire rack mount HD ( a version of the X- project or something like that) that is supposed to be " the perfect companion to the 001". It is claimed to be "the first Firewire drive designed specifically for the 001". It even matches the 001 blue faceplate and design scheme, just like the SCSI version of the X project. I assume it has a 7200 RPM seagate drive inside as well, but am not 100% sure. Kind of interesting - we'll see.
Old 10-24-2000, 01:47 PM

the pyro box with removable drives is fantastic, great for backups and i have recorded on it too. you can also pop in a dvd ram drive or cdr. cheap and flexible.

mr lunch
Old 10-24-2000, 11:01 PM

Hi Parker 9,

Nope, sorry for the confusion. I have 2 hard drives in 2 PYRO boxes. one hard drive in each PYRO box case.

7200rpm's and they work fine.
Old 10-28-2000, 11:13 AM

> I am only working off of 2 firewire
> drives. (Thay need to spin at 7200rpm's
> though)

5400rpm won't do? Is that just for firewire, or is that a general Digi spec?

Thanks for your reply - Don Z.
Old 10-28-2000, 11:35 AM

Hi Don,

Nope. Some people are working off of internal 5400rpm drives. But you really need 7200rpm drives for Audio inand out record and play back at the same time.

Larry
Old 10-30-2000, 03:52 PM

Frank, I just received my Elelctronic Musician with the Glyph Ad for the Project X FireWire Rkmt. drives. It looks as though they should work with 001 but I wonder why there's no mention of this on Digi's website?? This really irks me. It seems like there's all these issues with hardware, like the AGP video card issue for using 2 monitors with the new G4s. Their quick fix was to "approve" a card more expensive then the 001!! This makes no sense to me. Even if I owned a PT24 Mix+, I still think I'd be P.O.'d about tossing $800bucks so I can use a second monitor considering the PCI Mac users are having no problem with their $125.00 PCI cards. I don't see Digi trying to approve any other AGP or PCI video cards for the G4s since they approved the most expensive.
Same thing with the FireWire drives. This sounds like a great way of adding easy quick storage but their site states FireWire is "NOT APPROVED" so what about now??? I'd definately like to see new "Approved" items wind up on that old list. Cob-webbs are already starting to form....