How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Default 9HD to 11HD upgrade queries , help

hi all.

firstly not sure if this is posted in the correct place...if its not then i apologize.

looking through some thread i have found different answers to different aspects of what im asking about, but i guess i need it consolidated.

Some background

1. i was running a 001 ( upgraded to 002r) on pc with ilok1 running pt7 with the extra toolkit

ilok registered - worked all good

running on octo pc (specs from this forum - thank you all)

2. got a second hand pt8 dongle to use with a laptop

did not register it - worked all good

3. oct2011 got pt9HD on ebay from good seller / with ilok1 / and dvd discs

got new pc for the job - rainPC (RIP)

loaded software from discs / inserted the ilok that came with it - all good

i did not register any thing with the new system as the system worked great and i did not want to change anything.

4. sold my 002r and got a rme ufx - after some brain cell tweaking - all good

out of nowhere a couple of days ago i got a "insert ilok" mesage...this is just after a ufx update...restarted a few time now all seems good..

but it got me a little on edge..

i have been looking at getting PT11..mainly for the 64bit - but also to keep up with the jones...and with the HD the metering in particular looks very handy.

the seller of the 9HD replied to my email ( fair play to him as it was four years ago) but he isnt sure of the licensing / registration on it...saying to try it in the IlokManager and see what happens..

im kinda reluctant to load the ilokmanager with the ilok running 9hd as im afraid it will give me the fingers and stop me running whats currently all good?

im in the process of upgrading a late 2012 macmini i7 2.3 with two 512 evo sdd's and 16 gigs ram

i wanted to get the 11hd running on it and as i learn it ..keep the 9hd on the PC working on projects that need to be done.

i really dont want to have to fork out $1500 for the 11hd...
for the pt11 normal (vanilla) a local shop suggested that i get the express and upgrade costing no more then about 600

when i log into the ilok website - i have in my account, pt7 and the music production kit.

sorry for the long winding story..any help/guidance would be great..

thank you all, mossy
Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Default Re: 9HD to 11HD upgrade queries , help

The insert ilok message is,because your ilok or your PC USB port is failing.

Step #1. Buy a new ilok USB v2.
#2. Move the licenses out of your ilok USB, into the Cloud "your ilok account."
With latest ilok manager, in a laptop or a computer with UPS, to avoid a power failure while transfer the license.
#3. If the license moves to your cloud "your ilok account." Everything is OK.
#4. If does not, try& try, if does,not move, call/email ilok, for a Repair RMA Authorization, if you have ZDT, you will receive an instant temporal license.
#5. If the license is in your ilok account "cloud." And your ilok USB empty, remove that ilok USB from your account.
#6. Insert the new Ilok USB, register that new iLok USB with your ilok account,
With ilok manager ILM.
Download only from www.ilok.com
#7. Move the licenses from your ilok account "cloud server" to you new ilok USB.
Wait for successfully transfer confirmation window.
Close/Logout, and you are ready to enjoy PT! Again...

I recommend purchasing a USB extension cord, and a USB2.0 hub,
And placing all plugins in different ilok accounts & USB iloks.
But not needed.

To upgrade pro tools you must have ilok login & password,
To ask avid/ilok to repair you ilok, you must have ilok login & password.
To have ZDT you must have ilok login & password.
To move licenses to a new ilok, you must have ilok login & password.
To transfer plugins to other ilok accounts, you must have ilok login & password.
*some restrictions apply.

Sweet water knowledge base is nice, also Avid knowledge base.
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...-pro-tools-11/
avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/ActivationCard
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...ther-versions/
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...ols-resources/
Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Sometimes an "insert ilok" plug-in comes up when a plug-in has not been installed correctly. I've gotten that error before, with my iLok plugged in and recognized.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 AM

juan..thank you

#1. Buy a new ilok USB v2.
i will buy an ilok2 tomorrow

#2. Move the licenses out of your ilok USB, into the Cloud "your ilok account." With latest ilok manager

after i load the ilokmanager software with the ilok 9hd on it...should the ilok automatically be recognized...and be easily moveable?

#3. If the license moves to your cloud "your ilok account." Everything is OK.

touching woods and crossing everything

#4. If does not, try& try, if does,not move, call/email ilok, for a Repair RMA Authorization, if you have ZDT, you will receive an instant temporal license.

i dont have ZDT - apart from registering my old pt7 ive never had to use ilok support..which was many years ago

with the repair RMA...do i need to send the ilok to them ? (im in ireland, and im thinking studio down time )

considering that theres a good chance that the pt9hd on the ilok is not registered to me...could that mess things up....?

#5. If the license is in your ilok account "cloud." And your ilok USB empty, remove that ilok USB from your account.

that makes sense

#6. Insert the new Ilok USB, register that new iLok USB with your ilok account, With ilok manager ILM.

sounds good

#7. Move the licenses from your ilok account "cloud server" to you new ilok USB.
Wait for successfully transfer confirmation window.
Close/Logout, and you are ready to enjoy PT! Again...

great stufff...what can possible go wrong

thanks juan...
Old 07-13-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
with the repair RMA...do i need to send the ilok to them ? (im in ireland, and im thinking studio down time )
read the ilok faq.
https://www.ilok.com/#!support
https://www.ilok.com/#!faq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
considering that theres a good chance that the pt9hd on the ilok is not registered to me...could that mess things up....?
when you upgrade PT, you can change/update the AVID registration info.
BUT...
The ilok account is the important, ilok registration can be updated, you need login & password.

The AVID account is Only to download installers, if PT is a Download Version "to have access to the Installers",
The Boxed version of PT comes with DVD installers, is Not Download Version.
And there is No AVID account.

Most PT9 & HD9 were Boxed Version, AVID online store used to sell replacement disks at $15usd.
Box was different outside, but since PT9, installer disks were the same "unified" to minimize production cost "a smart move if you ask me.", and the License on the Ilok USB tells PT what mode to Run, HD or Non-HD.

Sometimes disks get scratched, lost or stolen.
Thats why I have a DVD Image of the Original PT Installer disk/DVD.
and use the image instead of the Original DVD's when i need a clean install. "bought a bigger/faster SSD, etc..."
I did the Image with MagicISO for Windows, there are many other softwares, that can make an .iso
Also there are many other formats like .nrg, bin/cue, .toast, etc... but i like .iso because is compatible with all DVD burning softwares, if i need to burn i use K3B for Linux, does MD5 checksum.
But there are Virtual DVD drives that can load a Disk Image .iso, "no need to burn."
Installation is much Faster, because the fastest DVD drive is not as fast as the fastest SSD with a Virtual DVD drive.
I use MagicISO Virtual MagicDisk, but there are many other Virtual Drives for Windows.
When installing PT for the first time in a New HDD/SSD/OS "Fresh Clean Install",
and PT runs for the first time in that SSD/HDD/OS, will asks to register, you click: it's already registered,
PT will ask AVID servers "internet connection is needed only the first time", if everything is OK, Legal, Not Stolen, will Continue, and Activate PT.
Final word, PT10 bounce will sound different, i like more 9. but thats personal taste.

download the Trial of PTHD10/11, install and bounce the Same .ptf Session with another name. "PT9&10 cannot coexist."
compare to see if you like.
http://connect.avid.com/Pro-Tools-Trial.html

PTHD9 Bounce sounds a bit more upfront & Transparent, difference can be heard in a BIG PA club system or very nice Loudspeakers/DA converter.

Last edited by JuanPC; 07-13-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:01 PM

hey juan..thanks for that info..

for some reason trying to load any pages on the ilok.com site is really really really slow..( i on operabrowser)..and not opening...but i did see that i will need to send it on the avid site. seems to opening sometimes in firefox.

i hear you regarding the dvd discs...im a fan of imgburn software for the same kinda thing.

just going through some older digi storage and found all the boxed paper work from the 001 ..version 5...with a dverb floppy disc v1.5.1.

from 2001....i should scan them and put them up

anyway, ill get the ilok2 tomorrow and see what the ilm says

when i do send off the ilok ...i couldnt really tell if i needed a avid account...i may have one from the 001....although that was digidesign...

thanks juan,

mossy