Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Default Questions on USB/Firewire speeds on computer W/ No firewire port

I am currently upgrading my audio interface, maybe a Focus rite or Apollo or something along those lines. My Windows PC does not have a firewire port on it. It sucks because some of the best interfaces I looked at are only firewire. I've looked online, and I guess the max speed of data transfer for USB is 480mbps, while Firewire is almost twice that. My question is, would it be okay to use a firewire to USB adapter with the interface, or would it interfere with data speed between the interface and computer, and possibly cause pops, clicks, lag etc. Also, if there are any recommendations on how to use firewire with usb that would be helpful.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Questions on USB/Firewire speeds on computer W/ No firewire port

Don't do it. Most likely will cause more headaches then it's worth. You can add Fire wire ports to you computer via the PCI-E Slots. My Computer didn't have Fire wire by default either.

You need to buy a Fire wire card for your computer. For some reason Pro tools is very picky about which chipset you use. The best chipset for use with Pro Tools is a TI Chipset (Texas Instruments).

Get one that fits into a PCI-E 1x slot to avoid any bottlenecks. You can also find some cards that are powered using a cable off your computers power supply. This way you can have multiple Fire wire ports if needed and you can get a combination of FW 400 and FW 800 ports so you can connect to any interface that uses Fire wire.
Should be able to pick one up for around $40-50, good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesackic View Post
Don't do it. Most likely will cause more headaches then it's worth. You can add Fire wire ports to you computer via the PCI-E Slots. My Computer didn't have Fire wire by default either.

You need to buy a Fire wire card for your computer. For some reason Pro tools is very picky about which chipset you use. The best chipset for use with Pro Tools is a TI Chipset (Texas Instruments).

Get one that fits into a PCI-E 1x slot to avoid any bottlenecks. You can also find some cards that are powered using a cable off your computers power supply. This way you can have multiple Fire wire ports if needed and you can get a combination of FW 400 and FW 800 ports so you can connect to any interface that uses Fire wire.
Should be able to pick one up for around $40-50, good luck!
The PCI-E slot, would that be the pre cut metal backing I remove from the back, or is it that slot that is near the RAM, that is just left open for expansion? And I'm guessing the card, granting I get one you mentioned, will be a pretty painless connection to the computer as far as installation? And I do want to get the one you said as it could run 400 or 800, since some of the interfaces I've looked at use one or the other. Please excuse me if I'm asking dumb questions haha, I'm just new to firewire. My interface right now is USB so I never paid attention to firewire.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM

Here to make this a little easier, I found the card I use on Newegg. I can verify 100% this card works with Pro tools. I use my Presonus interface through it daily:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16815287011

this would be the slot you take the pre sut metal plate out for. The PCI-E 1x slot is the smallest of the expansion slots, alot smaller then the one you would install a graphics card into. It is dead simple to install you just plug and play
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Here to make this a little easier, I found the card I use on Newegg. I can verify 100% this card works with Pro tools. I use my Presonus interface through it daily:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16815287011
Thank you so much dude you are a life saver. I was about to paste a link to a card I found on Amazon, cuz I couldn't tell if it was powered by the cable computer plug. But as for the one you have, if I understand this correctly, it connects with the cable, off my computers power supply, connected to the mother board, so it can use 400/800 right? I will buy this card since you said it 100% works with pro tools.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM

You got it man, that's how it works, Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
You got it man, that's how it works, Good Luck!
Thanks so much man. Haha I was about to just throw my laptop at how frustrated I was as to what firewire is, and if I can only use a USB interface. Now since I know my computer does have the slots you mentioned, I can buy the card, look at both USB and firewire interfaces and have the best of both worlds and more options to choose from since it sounds pretty painless with the installation.

Once again thank you I really appreciate it :)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Thanks so much man. Haha I was about to just throw my laptop at how frustrated I was as to what firewire is, and if I can only use a USB interface. Now since I know my computer does have the slots you mentioned, I can buy the card, look at both USB and firewire interfaces and have the best of both worlds and more options to choose from since it sounds pretty painless with the installation.

Once again thank you I really appreciate it :)
Hang on a sec! Are you putting this FW card in a laptop or a desktop???? If its a desktop, then make sure you have the proper slot(if its older, it may not have a PCIe slot). Not trying rain on your parade, just don't want your lack of computer knowledge to make you waste money.

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting! If you read this link and post a Sandra report, that should tell us what we need to know about your computer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hang on a sec! Are you putting this FW card in a laptop or a desktop???? If its a desktop, then make sure you have the proper slot(if its older, it may not have a PCIe slot). Not trying rain on your parade, just don't want your lack of computer knowledge to make you waste money.

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting! If you read this link and post a Sandra report, that should tell us what we need to know about your computer.
I have a desktop. And I'm almost 100% positive that my computer does have the right slot for the card. I did some research last night on those things and I'm almost certain that it will work. Thank you for your info though, I really appreciate it :)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM

Cool More info at this link:
http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2006/t...s-24sept06.htm

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave