Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Problem: Protools.exe sits in Task Manager "Processes" Tab but wont open

Hi guys, new member here trying to adhere to the protocol. Please advise if I miss anything.

My System:

Dell Lattitude D820, Intel Core Duo T2600 @ 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, XP Pro SP2, 300GB Fantom Firewire Drive, Mbox 2, ProTools LE 7.4.

The problem:

Upon clicking on the Shortcut, the PT link from the start menu, or a pro tools file, the hard drive spins, and I see Protools.exe show up in the Task Managers "Processes" tab running about 60,000 kb of memory, but Protools no longer fully opens (hence it wont make it to the applications tab). No error message or other symptoms. My Mbox lights up and shows up in Device Manager just fine also.

It used to work just fine. Bought my Mbox back in August. Digi had me install 7.4 right off the bat and it worked flawlessly for the 3 of 4 times I used it (Running Mackie HDR and Nuendo in my studio - PT LE is my mobile rig). Last time I used it was December and it worked fine. Now the above abnormality is occurring.

What I've tried so far:-
  • Unplugging and replugging Mbox, also different USB jacks (no hub here either).
  • Ensured all optimizations and settings are per Digi spec.
  • Installed the Tech Support Folder and ran the contained apps.
  • Tried reducing to CPU 0 and then CPU 1 of the dual core
  • Updated to the cs8 update
  • Created a new hardware profile esp. for PT with all other un-need hardware disabled permanntly (Used to do this manually before each session and worked fine).
  • Removed Mbox and all Digi software, rebooted, reinstalled 7.4.

Still the same problem occurrs. I've had the unit less than 6 months, used it less than 5 times, and called for tech support to find that I'm only allowed to call for 90 days. After 3 days of tearing my hair out I'm hoping that someone here can help. I have installed PCwizard and ran that, and installed Sandra also, but am not sure exactly what to do with them.

I have searched through Answerbase, Techdocs, the forum here as well as other forums, and google searches for this kind of error, but I've yet to find anyone who has experienced this.

Worst thing is, all I'm trying to do is get to a session and export the comp'd vocal so that I can pull it into Nuendo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please advise if there is any other info that would be needed also.

Kind Regards and fingers crossed,

Andy
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Problem: Protools.exe sits in Task Manager "Processes" Tab but wont open

Does Protools show up in the application menu in the START MENU when you go down and pop it up? or when you ALT TAB to switch between open applications?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Problem: Protools.exe sits in Task Manager "Processes" Tab but wont open

Nope. It just hangs, but does not show up in the applications, or if I do an Alt+Tab. Only shows up in the "processes" tab of task manager and that's it.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_eade View Post
Nope. It just hangs, but does not show up in the applications, or if I do an Alt+Tab. Only shows up in the "processes" tab of task manager and that's it.
Have you tried holding down SHIFT while clicking on the PT icon?

Does the PT debug log show anything?

Does the system Event viewer show anything in Applications or System?

Is the Digidesign MME Refresh service running?

--Bill
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Bill,

I just tried your suggestion. Holding down shift while clicking the link did nothing when opening from that start menu, and when clicking from the desktop shortcut it opened every file to the left of the shortcut on the desktop.

The system Event viewer shows no new events under System or Application following the PT execution attempt. I do however see the MMERefresh.exe running in the "Processes" tab of Task Manager. BTW, not sure if this is normal, but I did note that MMERefresh runs upon startup, before I have even attempted to open PT. Same with MacDriveServiceD.exe. I also noted that even though in the PT hardware Profile I setup I have disabled Macaffe; I do still see a virus scanning item showing up in the processes list upon launch - Mcshield.exe. Having said that, back in December when PT was last operating fine I didn't even have a unique Hardware profile for PT and so I'm sure that MCshield.exe was running in the background even though I would manually disable Macafee prior to recording / using PT.

Can you guide me on where to find the PT debug log. I took a look in the Digidesign folders but couldn't see anything that looked like a log.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions,

Andy
Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 AM

If a debug log exists it will be in c:\program files\digidesign\pro tools\pro tools utilities\exceptionlogfiles. I don't believe the exceptionlogfiles directory will exist unless there have been files written to it.

Yes, it's normal for those two services to be run at startup.

Shift wouldn't do what you describe unless you dragged across other icons on the way to selecting the PT icon. I'm remembering wrong about this, though. I thought it was shift or control that you hold down just after launching PT and it's supposed to prevent plug-ins from loading. But I just tried it here (PT8) and no combination seems to prevent the plug-in loads. Hmmm.. could it have been a dream??

Well, the other option is to move all the plug-ins from the c:\program files\common files\digidesign\DAE\plug-ins directory to another temporary directory like plug-ins (unused) or something, and then try running PT. Make sure it's not getting hung on a plug-in.

Make sure any virus/spyware software is not running.

That it once worked but doesn't now suggests that something has changed in the computer's configuration. Could be a program, registry problem, installation problem or even a hardware issue. So at this point, I'd make sure to be completely caught up with all Windows Updates, make sure you have latest device drivers for video, ethernet, firewire, etc. If all of that doesn't change anything I think my next step would be to completely uninstall PT/drivers/plug-ins, reboot, boot the XP Pro CD and choose the R)epair option to rebuild and fix things. Then reinstall any windows updates that might be necessary and try the PT install once again.

Process of elimination!

--Bill
Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 AM

I believe the delete databases command in the Tech Support program does not work correctly. Try manually deleting the Digidesign Databases files in the top level directory of each drive.

--Bill
Old 02-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Okay I tried both removing the plug-ins temporarily, and the database files but no joy with that.

I'm currently going through and remving any files / software that have been added since my last known good state to see if any of those are causing problems (I'm suspecting maybe Skype?). I'll let you know if there's any Joy. I may try another de and re-install of PT after I have done this also and I like the idea of the XP repair (sounds a lot better than and XP re-install - I'll trash this Mbox before I do this. I've already lost 4 days on this).

Do you think it's possible it's a problem with the Mbox and PT just can't find it? Is there any way to test that?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Unfortunately there are lots of possibilities and I would not rule out a Trojan or other malware either

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Even though I've been carefully using Macafee Total Protection Suite for any web acitivity, I did run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware yesterday and it found two registry keys infected with two adware agents. These were quarantined and subsequently deleted and all is now clean. So much for total protection!