Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 PM

Default Please.... Avid... Fix...11...[RANT]

Seriously... Upgrading to 11 was probably the worst mistake I have made. I put it off for a year because I was waiting for plugins to get upgraded to AAX. The idea of the 64bit was the biggest reason I wanted to upgrade.

Unfortunately, what a f*****g disappointment. The constant crashes and -9173 errors.. it's so frustrating. Many times, 2 hours of work usually equals of 30 minutes of actual work. Protools 10.3.9 worked so much better...so much better. I dream of just going back, and I would, but the compatibility issues with OS10.

Before I hear the standard copy and pastes, a few things of note. I have been running Protools since the 90's as a professional. I have Grammy nominations and dozens of Platinum and Gold records. I don't mention this as some sort of bragging, the ONLY reason I mention that is because I am NOT the only professional (most whom are working on far bigger projects) I know who has, not only these issues, but feel AVID is not keeping their eye on the ball.

Aside from the crashes and errors, there are some bugs that blow my mind. A few of mention, output selection bug, saving scores as pdf's bug, automated panning of tick based interweaved tracks bug, the CONSTANT ram warnings, is video even supposed to work smoothly?

I mentioned Avid losing sight of the big picture. Well, aside from releasing Protools 12 before Protools 11 was even functioning well, they are adding features I feel aren't even remotely geared toward the professional community. It makes sense they want to expand and move toward the newer users and continue to try to keep market share against growing competition, but the professional user base IS the bread and butter. You lose them, you lose. Newer users want to use the professionals are using. What I am mainly referring to is the collaboration features in Protools 12. Before I completely bash it, I want to put a disclaimer that I haven't used it, nor have I read every topic relating to it, so if I am completely off base on this, feel free to set me straight, BUT... what is this? This.. This is what you spent countless research on? This might be neat for the newer users, but my god, this is the most touted feature I see with Protools 12. It's COMPLETELY worthless.

Honestly, if Protools 12 came out with no other features than running smooth as a baby's ass, I would gladly take the loss I paid on TWO PT11 upgrades for our studio and upgrade to 12, just to wash my hands and get back to work. But, from what I am reading on forums, I don't know if Protools 12 is running better or worse because of the mixed reviews and the last thing I am going to do is play guinea pig while trying to maintain a functioning studio.

I am starting to calm down a bit, so in closing. There aren't a whole lot of new features needed that are pressing. The best feature you can give us, is stability. Please, for all that is holy, fix your s**t.

For the trolls..
I am running two Mac Pro computers 10.10.3. Protools HD Native 11.3.1. One Mac Pro is an 2009 the other is 2010. I did complete hard drive wipes prior to Protools 11 installs. I am running my sessions off external USB 3.0 drives and FW800 drives.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Please.... Avid... Fix...11...[RANT]

If you are indeed a 'big wig' as you claim to be (and I have no reason to believe you aren't) then it is you guys who need to be making the most noise as we mere mortals around here do not get listened to by Avid. Good on you for coming on here and doing so.

Keep shouting and shaking the tree to loosen the rotten apples!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-20-2015, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Please.... Avid... Fix...11...[RANT]

Word!
Pro tools HDX, Avid HD I/O 16x16 analog,

http://jonatanmusik.com/