Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-16-2006, 11:52 AM

Default PT7 crashing when opening older sessions

I'm having an intermmitent and very weird problem...
I am trying to run some backups of all my old pro tools sessions while simultaneously just making sure all my backups stay current and up to date with latest pro tools revisions.
I have an album I'm backing up today and I keep having pro tools crash as it loads the session.
It seems to happen after all the audio has been found but just as it's loading inserts. I'm assuming this means that the plug-ins could be at fault.

But then I tried a new tack where I would create a new session and just import the old sessions data one track at a time... It would work as long as I did it one track at a time, but if I did more than one track I would get strange messages "could not complete your request because Assertion in "Cmn_interval.cpp", line 210

I got a few other odd error messages like that but not exactly the same (didn't take screen shots of those)... but at least they didn't crash the system... then I came to a few tracks that wouldn't load no matter what. One was a vocal comp that used a lot of regions, so maybe that had something to do with it... just a guess.,..

anyway... i finally imported one track that just crashed the program altogether.

Did the usual trashing of preferences and databases (I've gotten so used to PT problems that I even have it setup as an automator script now)

Anyhow.. I know I'm breaking the rules by working on 10.4.4 but I've been able to open 7 other sessions from this album that I was working on last august... there are 4 sessions that are giving me this sort of trouble...

The sessions are all 48k 24bit wav if that makes any difference

Anyone else had these sorts of issues. Is this a known problem?
digi?

-----
Magma CB4 expansions Chassis, HD3 Accel
Powerbook 1.5 ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80GB hard Drive,
96 io, Apogee rosetta 800
Old 02-16-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: PT7 crashing when opening older sessions

What third party plug-ins are you using in the faulty sessions?
Move out any third party plug -ins from the Plug-Ins Folder than try to open up the sessions.
If that still fails than try to create a new session (preferably that is -in your case- 48KHz/24bit wav) and use Import Session to import the older session.

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 02-16-2006, 02:36 PM

I'm not sure what plug ins it was... I have a lot in the sessions... I was able to get the sessions working without plug ins by setting up new sessions and importing all session data except for plug in assignments.
I think Echo Farm may be a culprit... not sure about any of the others... hard to tell since I can't open the old session at all in order to check out what's on there that could be causing a conflict.

Still, it would be nice if there were a way to open the session and see what plug ins are on there and choose whether or not to import those plug ins or just a select few... but alas, a pipe dream probably..

anyway... it's a big problem for me right now... i have a lot of older sessions that i'm going to need to open in order to work. I'm about to go check all the downloads for current plugs....but it sure would be nice if the PT7 versions of the plugs would open up when they see an instance of the older versions coming in from an older session...
Old 02-17-2006, 08:16 AM

I am having this problem as well. It also crashes when I try to import session data to a new session, even if I don't import plug-in assignments. I have students that are having the same problems.
[email protected]
Old 02-18-2006, 03:54 AM

Same Problem here.

It mostly works when I am importing tracks by tracks (importing several tracks ot once in a new session will crash). However I have one session that I can save by importing track for track and then save. If I close and reopen the new PT7 Session it will quite again.

It seems in my session to appear when using native instruments things.

daniel