Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Default Microphone selection

Just a quick ques. Gonna start to record a new album and I want to know what mic's are suggested in addition to what I have.. Working on a limited budget!

I have 2 Shure SM57's, 2-Rode NT-5's, 1-SHure PG56, I also have a crappy set of CAD drum mic's (3-tom and 1 bass). I was gonna record the drums with the PG56 on the snare and the CAD bass drum mic in my bass and the Rode NT-5's overhead setup with the Glen John config. The SM57 was gonna go on the lead and backup guitars and the bass was a direct plug in. Probably only 1 guitar will be mic'd and the 2nd will be a direct as a scratch track then re-done later. As for vocals, I don't know yet, We have a tube mic but I'm not sure what is is.. Maybe the NT-5's for vocals?? Maybe I get a better bass mic? What do you-all think??
Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Microphone selection

If you can swing it, a budget upgrade to your selection will go along way towards improving your setup. Add an Audix D6 for bass drum(used is fine). Add a Cascade Fat Head( http://www.cascademicrophones.com/ca...AT%20HEAD.html ) for electric guitar($175 direct). Keep an SM57 on the snare. The NT5's will do good as overheads. If you need to add a hat mic, look at the CAD e70(great on a budget). For vocals, I can highly recommend the MXL V89(FET) or V69ME(tube). Try to buy one of these new if you can so you know its never been dropped and isn't missing any accessories(like the V69 7 pin cable). If you can't swing an MXL, look at the cheaper AT2020, 2025 or AKG Perception mics).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave