Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2019, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Heat on a 'freeze track'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I'd like to know this too. My first thought is that if you're sending several audio tracks to an aux track - like I send all my drums to a stereo aux - then you could be applying HEAT twice by default. But I'd rather Pro Tools leave it to me to decide whether I want HEAT enabled on the aux. There are probably other reasons why HEAT isn't available on aux tracks, but it'd be nice to have the option.
Hopefully Avid considers it's users smart enough to simply disable heat on tracks they don't want it on. Ultimately it just makes sense to give the user the choice and give heat the flexibility of a plugin.

I converted my recent track to midi+audio track for each instrument and it got big and confusing pretty fast. If Avid allows us to simply wrap those in a folder some day, then there'll be no issue.. that's the way I'll go. For now I'm going to commit and hide/inactive the source VI track.. problems solved. If I need to change melody I can unhide/enable track then proceed to re commit. It's workable for now and means heat on all tracks. Of course if I could afford an ultimate SUB, 256 audio would give much more leeway..
With PT being able to put all the audio tracks in ram the audio playback performance is exceptional. 75mb of audio per 5 minute project for 44K 24 bit means only 9600 mb for a full 128 track audio session at 5 minutes.. I set my disk cache to 8GB so am covered for almost all ram streaming with full track count :).
Old 12-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
For now I'm going to commit and hide/inactive the source VI track.. problems solved. If I need to change melody I can unhide/enable track then proceed to re commit. It's workable for now and means heat on all tracks.
Yeah that's what I do, you just have to remember to copy any changed plugins and automation over to the original instrument track, or the new audio track.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-22-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Yeah that's what I do, you just have to remember to copy any changed plugins and automation over to the original instrument track, or the new audio track.
Oh my idea was to just delete the clips and keep the new audio track the way I had it with whatever effects and drag the newly rendered clip to it once I made the VI changes.

I do NOT print VI's with insert effects under any circumstances, so if that's what you meant that's not an issue for me. My only cpu issue is with VI's, not FX.. with maximum 128 audio tracks even my little 8 cores are enough to put all the FX i want.. plus the 30 UAD dsp.. this is why I don't print with effects and just the raw audio and then mix that.

By the time I print to use heat, it is mix down time and the melodies and chords are likely all done. It would probably not be a common thing for me to have to go back and change it anyway.. Likely all the editing and song structure I need once VI's are printed could be done on the actual audio tracks. Cheers.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:08 PM

PS heat actually sounds really good when used subtly.. I have not found a situation yet where the mix sounds better with it disabled.. It adds just this, well, subtle sheen to polish it all off.. I am driving clockwise but not using the clockwise tone as that's too bright.. I am using an 11 o'clock tone and about a 2 o'clock drive.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Oh my idea was to just delete the clips and keep the new audio track the way I had it with whatever effects and drag the newly rendered clip to it once I made the VI changes.
That works but if Automation Follow Edit is enabled, you could lose any automation on the track you drag audio into.

Quote:
I do NOT print VI's with insert effects under any circumstances, so if that's what you meant that's not an issue for me.
I often have inserts following my VI's to, but I don't include them in the Commit process, I just process Up To the VI plugin and the inserts get copied over to the new audio track.

Quote:
heat actually sounds really good when used subtly.. I have not found a situation yet where the mix sounds better with it disabled.. It adds just this, well, subtle sheen to polish it all off.. I am driving clockwise but not using the clockwise tone as that's too bright..
Exactly- it's a subtle effect. I've not really used the Tone controls on anything yet either.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7