Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2010, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 HD users should be provided with backup license

would avid sell 3 licences for one studio cheaper?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools 9 HD users should be provided with backup license

stinks BAD i had no idea this was the case, paid for the upgrade and now it is useless to me .. Using it for live work and sometimes being in remote areas = no access to ilok if trouble happens... and then i am truly stuffed.. can't even negotiate with them , i've been emailing back and forth with someone who doesn't even read my email properly before he replies with a generic answer..

should have been advised before parting with the $$$... i understand avid's P.O.V but my circumstance absolutely requires a backup as i am sure many other users on tour need.. unacceptable really and i have zero problems with any other software manufacturer having backups after explaining my reasons and legitimacy.. (i'm not saying i have all my plugins backed up but all my daw's and basic setup is duplicated - Ableton, DP, Logic, basic set of plugins for emergency) so i can at least get through a gig if an ilok breaks or is lost etc.. my car has a spare tyre for the same reason - to get me out of trouble it's there for security just like the backup.

Anyone at avid with a more professional view and open mind to reality care to speak directly with me ? because it's impossible to reach anyone who will at least properly listen and understand my scenario ...

anyway sorry to rant.. frustrating... cheers
Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM

err bump... still no one from avid prepared to attempt at giving me a reasonable answer and possibly provide a solution ?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:51 PM

And in the same light -

Forthwith I'm goona demand Schoeps provide me with free standy-by mics, AMEK standby preamps... and so forth.

And while I'm at it, Toyota should give me an additional Camry without charge just in case mine doesn't start one morning and I, then, might be late to a session.

I know I'm being a bit of a twit in this reply, but let's all get a grip about 100% fault-tolerant applications and hardware.

When I'm doing live concert orchestra recordings, I'm recording 8-16 channels to PT9 thru Mackie Blackbird to first Mac, Two channels to MacBook Pro through Apogee Rosetta and a third SPDIF output to my 24bit Flash recorder.

Also running through a large battery UPS. Had a stage hand inadvertently unplug my mains power many years back...

I never considered that all the manufacturers should be providing this security without charge.

If you need an additional PT9 license, do you also have backups for all of your other mission-critical equipment? Without charge?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
Why has backup license been dropped?
Now the with the possibility of using PT 9 HD on my laptop I don't really understand why would I need to take my iLok from the studio risking potential loss or damage and making myself unable to work until I buy a new license... not mentioning other licenses that are worth thousands...
ilok Zero Downtime
Protect it and buy insurance if your paranoid.
I have had my original ilok I bought in 2002 - never lost or stolen
....even after it's been on 5 different continents around the world.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM

just got a PT9 box install package at a retail location
there is 2 distinct license cards inside is the second card not intended to the backup license ?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
just got a PT9 box install package at a retail location
there is 2 distinct license cards inside is the second card not intended to the backup license ?
Hi,

Thats interesting!! i would setup another avid account and a second ilok account before trying the second registration!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Thats interesting!! i would setup another avid account and a second ilok account before trying the second registration!!

After thinking about this again there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to own 2 ilok auths in the same avid account? unless there's a technical restriction!! i guess a second ilok on the same account should be ok!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.