Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Request for PT MacIntel HD version for MacBook Pro

Hello Digi,

I have been using Magma's CardBus expansion chassis on a PowerBook G4 for location recording on an HD and/or HD2 system, and ran the system flawlessly for many years. I had to replace the PowerBook and got the new very fast MacBook Pro. I have talked to Magma who just released the Express54 PCI expansion chassis and will be releasing very soon the Express34 PCI expansion chassis (which incidentally will work with older CardBus PCI expansion systems, just change the interface card). The Express34 will work with the MacBook Pro. The missing link will be a universal binary version of ProTools HD that runs on a MacBook Pro.

I hereby make a kind request to release a version of ProTools HD that can run on the MacBook Pro. I am aware that you have stated the contrary elsewhere:

"Because neither the MacBook Pro nor the iMac offer the PCI, PCI-X, or PCI Express (PCIe) expansion slots required for Pro Tools|HD® systems, Digidesign will not release a new version of Pro Tools HD software for these computers."

I am not sure if I could (or should) run an m-powered or LE Intel UB version of ProTools, and am not sure how this would, if it could be done, affect the overall sound quality. Maybe someone can chime in and provide some insight as to differences between LE/m-powered and TDM versions... Track count will probably not be a problem, since I rarely go above 24-30 tracks...

What is Digi's recommendation for location recording? I am hoping it is not abandoning a 192 I/O for an m-audio I/O. In other words, how can I make a system based on one or more 192 I/O and a MacBook Pro work? Any help will be gladly appreciated.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Request for PT MacIntel HD version for MacBook Pro

Yes that would be great!
Please digi or do I have to ask Tingeling?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 AM

Perhaps Digi could release an ExpressCard/34 version of the Expansion|HD interface card, thereby guaranteeing a big increase in sales of their own expansion chassis
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 AM

Since Magma is making an ExpressCard/34 card that'll work with their existing 1, 2, and 4-slot chassis (holding PCI cards) and Digi will be coming out with UB version of ProTools HD soon, why shouldn't the MacBook Pro just work with the Magma chassis the way it works now? I have all three of the Magma chassis with the CardBus card, and they all work fine.

I know of course why it might not work - I'm not that naive. But perhaps there will be compatibility down the road. That would be great. I depend on my portable TDM system almost every day. If I have to lug a huge TDM rig to and from dub stages this could be a real deal breaker.

Craig