Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Free Oakleys, Click below to get yours!

Oakley is a top brand of eyewear that makes chic sunglasses for men and women. Click here

Please Log In to view this link!
for your free pair of designer sunglasses.

Last edited by Judkins401; 04-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Re: 11R weird fizzy noise

What are you doing? What is going on between the earlier and later part of the recording when it cleans up.

Did you solve the output unbalanced issue?

As said before: we cannot guess what you are doing: You need to try to describe what you are doing. What guitar, what exact pickups? (to try to explain the high frequency flanging effect) Are you monitoring loud enough that the signal may be feeding back through the guitar? (if so try tracking with headphones). What exactly is in the Eleven Rack rig? Start with a amp only and no rig or external effects pedals. What exactly is connected. This is the wet recoding into you DAW straight from the Eleven Rack or miced from a cab or ???

Confirm that on cleaner settings cranked up you are not hearing any strangeness, anything intermittent with the guitar or pickup, or RF/noise pickup on the Eleven Rack... obviously that will be higher with high-gain amps. And there may be a lot more chance of pickup with the Eleven Rack that an amp, because you have more possible ground loops with computer and USB cables etc. I'm not confident of this (I want to know exactly what your setup looks like), and are not looking for "hum" but more high frequency "hash", so get a decent clean amp only rig, turn up the gain and play (guitar location, orientation, how you are touching it etc., computer connected or not, external monitors connected or not, etc. around looking for noise that may be causing problems.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judkins401 View Post
I'm about ready to just throw this thing in the trash, so many issues right off the bat!
Could try a factory reset before it goes in the bin.
just a thought
http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.co.u...even-rack.html
Old 04-14-2018, 08:08 AM

oh man....I've read both your threads....even the one that disappeared. It sounds like a troubled, haunted device. I hope the Factory Reset helps but it sounds like there's more to it and it could be a pretty desk ornament.

I truly hope not because I know to my ears it is an amazing unit limited only by the range of effects.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Lets try to keep things separate, since your noise/high frequency phasing issues are being recorded to digital/USB outputs, that won't be related to an output stage balance. And the guitar input stage is all mono so not relevant.

Quote:
/snip/
I checked the main outputs with a multi meter and found the left main XLR is always 3, 4, 5 mV stronger than the right
/snip/
A few mV difference is likely insignificant at usual output operating levels.

A slight imbalance of a few mV may not be a sign of problems. What I suggested elsewhere (that may have gotten lost in DUC problems) is you measure the outputs at higher levels, like 1 V rms, 500 mV rms and see how different they are. And (if they are significantly different) measure the +ve and -vs signal levels on each channel to ground as well, a significant difference there points to analog output stage problems.

The output levels you probably want to be working with should be higher, around hundreds of mV to ~volt, you should be adjusting down the gain in your powered monitors to accommodate that input signal level, and then play with gain staging for what sounds best.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 PM

I know this can be frustrating and you have got the Eleven Rack to want to help finish you EPs but I would be careful of assuming the Eleven Rack is necessarily faulty (it may well be but...).... it's like somebody just delivered dozens of amps and cabs and pedals to you and you need to learn how to get some of them set up to sound like you want. Think days and days or work to find a good tone. And if you already have guitar amps/cabs you like the sound of you might be better off just micing and recording those, especially if you are running out of time.

I doubt any output imbalance issues are related to you sound distortion/high frequency flanging issues, and I'm assuming here what you posted on Soundcloud was recorded into Reaper from the USB output of the Eleven Rack. Any problems with the analog output of the Eleven Rack (like an output level imbalance might typically indicate) won't affect that recorded sound. The amp sims are all mono and you can set your rig to be mono to the Main Outputs/will be by default with no stereo effects there. The input stage of the Eleven Rack and Rig processing are all mono and common to whatever amp sim you are using, so you should be able to exclude problems there by playing with a low gain amp sim and playing with combinations of the guitar output level and gain/ volume in the amp sim and listening for noise or other issues. It's fairly unlikely that the digital processing of an amp sim produces problems, its either likely to work normally or not at all. And you've already tried resetting memory on the Eleven Rack. And finally you can totally exclude analog input issues by reamping a signal though your Eleven Rack. Either a guitar recorded elsewhere or even a (low level) sine wave test tone. To do that set the rig input input in the Eleven Rack to "reamp" and send the mono signal you want to reamp out from your DAW to output 3. (ReAmp Left input on the Eleven Rack). You have lots of tools in front of you to debug all possible things, if you have the time.

Information on what amp sims and settings you have problems with would help. I am not a high-gain amp user, but high-gain amp sims can do unusual things if you try to dime the settings. And they are often behaving close the the unstable behavior of a real high-gain amp. If you have the amp sim dimed this may be normal mis-behavior for the amp sim. I mention this because it seems a not unusual issue for folks who want a high-gain/heavily distorted guitar tone to want to start with lots of amp sim/plugin settings set very high. Much higher than they might with a live amp/cab in a room, where sheer volume might discourage that. Lots of great distorted guitar tone can be achieved with settings way lower than many of us think, and sure there are counter-examples.

On descriptions what I was mostly hoping for was a clear description of exactly what you are doing that produces the problem. Like somebody else with just that information would be able to set up a system to reproduce. That is maybe more useful than telling us a huge list of different things you have changed. Especially just what rig and sim settings you are running. If you gave the Eleven Rack editor setup you can just screenshot those pages to help easily explain what you are doing with the rig.

Go though the rig and turn off stuff and have stuff set up as simply as much a possible when getting started. I've seen folks flummoxed for example with Eleven Rack effects being engaged when they thought they were off, or pedals in the Eleven Rack effects loop when they did not realize signal was flowing though stuff.

Try picking an amp sim close to what you are used to and starting with the amp sim settings close to what you would have on the real amp. And be careful that some amp sims have multiple pages of settings. The folks (well mainly one guy) who developed the Eleven Rack took a lot of care to try to get behavior accurate vs the real world prototypes.

I'm not sure what mixer you are talking about. Again, simplify, start with headphones, no mixer, not active monitors connected (to avoid sources of ground loops). And if you do need to describe a signal chain, just telling us you are going into a DSL100 is leaving off a lot of useful information. Like the signal is going into that where? Front input? FX loop return? From what exact output on the Eleven Rack? What Eleven Rack output level setting? What relevant settings on the Marshall amp, etc. (You should normally start by trying to use the FX loop return on any guitar amp that offers that, unless you are just using the Eleven Rack to simulate input effects pedals... and yes there are exceptions, but that's the best place to start).

I've seen bizarre sound effects from guitars with faulty wiring. I know you've tried multiple guitars here, but i just wanted to point out what weirdness can happen. A broken internal wire in a guitar lead to strangeness where just touching the strings would lead to 'ping' noises and synth like sound effects.

BTW when recoding with the Eleven Rack as your interface and using a non-Pro Tools DAW you do have an issue of the DAW not suppressing the local monitoring path in the Eleven Rack. This won't affect what is recorded over USB, but what you hear in the monitors connected to the Eleven Rack while tracking. This can vary from barely perceptible to annoying. Discussed on other threads on DUC in the past.

Quote:
Hey Daryl,

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "what are you doing". I'm new to this forum thing. Let me try and explain better. I appreciate your time.

(Also, no, the volume output problem persists. I checked the main outputs with a multi meter and found the left main XLR is always 3, 4, 5 mV stronger than the right. I tried to reply to your post on the other thread but it said it needed approval from a moderator and hasn't shown up) I am wondering if the 2 problems are related, I haven't been able to make any progress on either after 3 full days of tinkering. I'm worried I bought an expensive paperweight.

I am simply trying to get a great tone that I am able to record tracks with through my daw (reaper). I'm working on an EP, all that's left are guitar tracks and I can't get anything anywhere near record worthy with these issues.

Guitars: I have used multiple. Fender strat, and 2 different epiphone les pauls. No difference whatsoever.

As for the clean tones, I don't get as much of the fizz/flange sound, but there are a couple of clean tones that if I pluck the string hard enough it comes through just as much as on a distorted setting. Of course with louder volume, where as I don't need as much to produce it on a crunch or high gain channel.

As for volume/clipping, even with the 11r on 2 or 3 (all outputs), the guitars on less than half volume, and the mixer on less than half volume when I plugged into that, same outcome.

So far I have tried:

- Guitar into eleven rack, directly out to monitors

- Guitar into eleven rack, into PC via USB

- Guitar into eleven rack, directly out to orange micro terror into orange 2x12

- Guitar into 11r, out to marshall DSL100 into line 6 4x12

- Guitar into 11r, out to Tascam US16 interface

- Guitar into 11r, out to Presonus Audiobox USB

* I do notice a high pitched whine noise when I go into both other interfaces, weather it be from main XLR, phones, or output to amp, and weather I choose instrument, or line on the interfaces. The noise is worse when I toggle the ground lift switch.

-Guitar into 11R, out into DAW (reaper) into several different cab IRs, with the cab turned off on the 11r.

-I have tried different monitors, and headphones
-I have tried different cables
-I have thought about interference and have moved the setup into 3 different rooms, including my basement. I even turned off every other circuit in my house at the breaker so the only thing powered was the 11R, and the monitors. I do have some input hum, but it's very little.
-I have tried a factory reset
-I have tried all output settings as far as rig input, rig output, amp output, etc...

I hope that gives you the information you're looking for!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-14-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Free gift, sign up now!

Click link below for free tutorial
Old 04-15-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Free Oakleys, Click below to get yours!

Oakley is a top brand of eyewear that makes chic sunglasses for men and women. Click here

Please Log In to view this link!
for your free pair of designer sunglasses.