Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-04-2014, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Invalid fades on playlist "?"

The weird thing is that these fades are always at bar #347222.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM

I've seen this in super sessions (all or most of the reels in a session) with Pro Tools 11.2.1. For me, if I import session data to a new session (and link to media) it appears to resolve the issue. I’d be interested to see if it resolves it for others encountering this issue as well.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:09 PM

We just started encountering this issue in PT 11.2.1 HD with a super session. Session was fine one day, next day it wasn't. Tried importing session data to new session and still same error. Does anyone have an answer to this yet? Multiple threads on this issue dating back many years and still no answers. Especially from Avid....surprise surprise.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 PM

I may be shooting in the dark here, but....
Sounds like some kind of file corruption. I go to File>Save As, then check the box for Audio Files, and(this is the crucial step) check the box for Main Playlist Only and save this to your recording drive(and NOT inside the original session folder). If this is successful(the copied session saves), close the original and open the copy version. If the copy runs, saves and closes, then you have a good version, and you can be pretty certain some unused audio file(s) is corrupt in the original session.

If you are still curious about the ?(and I am too), open the original session and select for all tracks to show Playlists, and look for an audio file with a ? or maybe some undecipherable file name(if the session is huge, this will use up some time, which maybe you don't feel like wasting). Also, open the Clips bin and scroll up/down to see if any clips are off-line(and maybe remove/delete if you find any).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 PM

A little more digging and a call to Avid Support to which they were stumped and still haven't gotten back to us after sending a session over, etc....(sigh)... This issue definitely has something to do with region groups as others have noted in previous posts from as far back as 2009 AD. Found some of our 2 pops were part of some region group elsewhere and causing the link to bad fades...I guess. Cleared the region group and it went away, for now. Even though we checked earlier for any existing region groups in the bin and thought they were cleared. Either way, this should probably be addressed by Avid after at least 5 years of people dealing with it, rather than having to search around a session for missing fades and manually remove them from a session that was working fine the night before. Or maybe bring back the "regenerate fades" option that has disappeared from PT11.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_eyes View Post
A little more digging and a call to Avid Support to which they were stumped and still haven't gotten back to us after sending a session over, etc....(sigh)... This issue definitely has something to do with region groups as others have noted in previous posts from as far back as 2009 AD. Found some of our 2 pops were part of some region group elsewhere and causing the link to bad fades...I guess. Cleared the region group and it went away, for now. Even though we checked earlier for any existing region groups in the bin and thought they were cleared. Either way, this should probably be addressed by Avid after at least 5 years of people dealing with it, rather than having to search around a session for missing fades and manually remove them from a session that was working fine the night before. Or maybe bring back the "regenerate fades" option that has disappeared from PT11.

Yes !
Where the hell did "regenerate fades" go …?
+1 on bringing that back real_eyes.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
Yes !
Where the hell did "regenerate fades" go …?
+1 on bringing that back real_eyes.
I think I read somewhere that 11 doesn't actually create fade files anymore.

The way I understand it, older versions of Pro Tools handled fades by creating a separate audio file. 11 doesn't create a separate file, but processes the level change in real time on the fly. That's why there's no "Fade Files" folder in the session folder.

At least I think that's the way it works. If so, it explains why there's no "Regenerate" function -- there's nothing to regenerate.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I think I read somewhere that 11 doesn't actually create fade files anymore.

The way I understand it, older versions of Pro Tools handled fades by creating a separate audio file. 11 doesn't create a separate file, but processes the level change in real time on the fly. That's why there's no "Fade Files" folder in the session folder.

At least I think that's the way it works. If so, it explains why there's no "Regenerate" function -- there's nothing to regenerate.

Yes that is correct… So how can we have invalid fades ?
We now have no way to deal with this error / anomaly.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 02-18-2016, 12:35 AM

"Invalid fades (these fades cannot be regenerated if they go offline)
Fade out "" at 347222:14.504 on playlist "?" is invalid because its left contributor is a fade"

Still happening Pro Tools 12.4
Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Also in version 2018.4

Invalid fades (these fades cannot be regenerated if they go offline)
Crossfade "" at 347222:13.333 on playlist "?" is invalid because its left contributor is a fade.

Anyone found a solution yet? Or a workaround?