Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

That being said I'm running 2018.10 native on Mojave just fine... I just don't need to track at smaller IO buffers. I'm just concerned that many folks seem to be missing that warning of known issues. This has been a great thread, thanks for the work.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Threads like this is what makes a place worth every second of time reading throughout the threads. I find this particular thread incredibly encouraging, especially considering the fact that Apple says, or at least have implied, that the new Mac Pro is going to be everything we want and more. Being upgradable that is. I would like to think that if they put that much effort into making the Mac Mini what it appears to be, they would do even more so with the Mac Pro. I personally have not bought a brand new Mac computer in quite a while, as I’ve been quite disappointed with the professional options that they put out over the last five years or so. I’m currently working on a 2009 Mac Pro upgraded to a 12-core, which screams as far as processing power, but it’s limited for future expandability as it relates to most devices are going thunderbolt.

I’m currently running HD native, with a PCI e-card.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
the new Mac Pro
I have one, from 2013
Old 12-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have one, from 2013
Have you seen the other thread regarding the 2018 I7 Mac Mini, and what that users experience was? Based on what I read, it seemed very encouraging. If you’ve seen that thread, I’m curious what you think about it?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 PM

I've had a new I7 Mac Mini now for 3 days. I've now gotten all of my software installed and used it on a couple projects. I'm really happy so far! It's replacing an aging "Hackintosh" and it's feeling much zippier. Very good value, IMO.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
Have you seen the other thread regarding the 2018 I7 Mac Mini, and what that users experience was? Based on what I read, it seemed very encouraging. If you’ve seen that thread, I’m curious what you think about it?
yes, but the soldered ssd is a deal-breaker for me
Old 12-07-2018, 04:40 AM

Why would they solder on an ssd? Does it have any functional reason?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Why would they solder on an ssd? Does it have any functional reason?
Takes up less space, may allow overall more compact packaging, not needing to allow access to long M.2 form factor cards may simplify service/access design, lowers manufacturing cost, may allow better heat dissipation/cooling, more reliable, not stocking M.2 form factor cards might allow easier/faster turn inventory management (I'm clutching for straws with that one ), locks customers into buying a new model vs in-box upgrade. No competition selling easy to upgrade competitive models... so Apple can do whatever they want.

But the Apple answer is go buy a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD, lots of those becoming available at decent costs. Same performance possibility there as an internal SSD... actually you ~double the IO performance adding a good external Thunderbolt NVMe drive than upgrading an internal drive, uses total of 8 PCIe lanes vs 4. The mini has two Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt chips, so hopefully enough capacity to in practice add external storage, monitors and interface. But be careful checking out specs/reviews of any “Thunderbolt SSD”, make sure it is internally PCIe/NVMe not SATA, and even then performance might be all over the place.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-07-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post
So - been over a week running my 2018 Mini. Sold my 2013. Working really, really great. Today I am trying a Razer Core X eGPU with Vega 64 card, and the graphics overall feel zippier, although scrolling and dragging tracks in PT seems the same or very slightly better.

Eucon feels great, sharing same Ethernet port as my home network. I can do crazy amounts of surfing, iMessages, checking Mail WHILE bouncing to disk and it never chokes. On my 2013 I had to shut down all apps while doing a BTD.

I know this is an unsupported config but so far I'm very impressed - enough so to have sold my 2013 MP.

Again, I think as an non-HDX user it can't be recommended, as I never put my buffers lower than 512. I've had friends with anything past HS 10.13.3 have a mess of a time trying to record at lower buffer rates.

I'll post more after using this Vega 64 for a bit.

Cool deal. Thanks for the info.
So what's your final setup? How do you have all the expansion units connected to the MM ports?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
Cool deal. Thanks for the info.
So what's your final setup? How do you have all the expansion units connected to the MM ports?
Final setup, in detail:

2018 Mac Mini, 3.2ghz 6 core
1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM (user installed)

2 Thunderbolt busses:

- TB buss 1: eGPU (Razer Core X with Sapphire Vega 64)
- TB buss 2: OWC Thunderbay 4 --> Sonnet Echo Express Pro (TB1) Avid HDX + UAD Octo ---> Highpoint 2 bay drive dock

2x4k monitor connected to Vega 64
1 small 1024x768 connected to MacMini

MacMini USB port1 --> Monoprice USB 2.0 extension able --> USB 2.0 hub --> 2 x USB keyboard + mice, 4xUSB midi interface
MacMini USB port2 --> USB 3.0 hub (iLok / eLicenser)

MacMini USB-C ---> usb 3.1 hub (external SSD drives)

ProTools 2018.10 Ultimate
UAD
Logic Pro

I highly recommend the 1TB SSD. You can always add SSD drives, but since you cannot change them, good to have a bigger drive for system.