Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-29-2020, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools projects not found in Finder search

My search criterias are: File extension=”ptx” AND filename matches ”-.bak.”. When I save it, it creates a smart folder. And that’s been working for years until this computer upgrade. And, as I mentioned, when I save as... even Spotlight can find the project file and so does the saved search, immediately. Even from Dropbox.
Files that are saved with Cmd-s -command disappear also from internal drive, i.e. from documents folder, so it is not Dropbox issue.
Oh, wrong term. Files do not disappear, I can still dig them up if I remember where I saved them and they are completely visible in finder, but search is not able to show them.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo59 View Post
My search criterias are: File extension=”ptx” AND filename matches ”-.bak.”. When I save it, it creates a smart folder. And that’s been working for years until this computer upgrade. And, as I mentioned, when I save as... even Spotlight can find the project file and so does the saved search, immediately. Even from Dropbox.
Files that are saved with Cmd-s -command disappear also from internal drive, i.e. from documents folder, so it is not Dropbox issue.
Oh, wrong term. Files do not disappear, I can still dig them up if I remember where I saved them and they are completely visible in finder, but search is not able to show them.
Save As creates a new filesystem inode. Save does not. So in principle very different things to trigger an indexing services like Spotlight. And that gets to my concern if you are using cloud storage. And everything mentioned here uses Spotlight. To start with lets exclude more cloud related issues. Do you happen to have your home directory set up to use iCloud? Don't guess, go check. That will/has cause storage related issues, and it is easy to set up doing a macOS install/upgrade without really realizing what is going on.

To keep things super simple I would remove the .bak. exclusion in the search.

Try saving a session to the <Internal Drive>/tmp folder and confirm what file system that <Internal Drive> is running on.

Make sure none of your file systems are marked private in Spotlight preferences.

If none of that is it...

Look in system.log (in Console.app) for Spotlight/mds processes complaining about problem... if stuff is not getting indexed Spotlight won't find it. And Spotlight is still fragile/buggy.

If there are no problems being reported, or even maybe if not try rebuilding the spotlight indicies: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716 ... how long an index rebuild will take is anybody's guess. You can see the workers indexing away in Activity Monitor. Test again especially after they stop/slow right down.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:07 PM

Checked. Everything seems to be ok. But then I checked the files’ metadata.
Like this wasn’t crazy enough ��

Could not paste metadata here so I took snaps, there:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bek7tg2tm...SjhUoS-Aa?dl=0

Going nuts here...
Old 11-29-2020, 05:32 PM

What exactly did you do? I suggested multiple things and asked several questions. I'm not sure the metadata would show anything interesting so not sure why you are looking there... I cannot guess what the "disappearance" or anything else you are trying to show there is, what mdls command output was taken when? You need to slow down and answer questions and explain stuff very clearly ... I am really suspecting you have a cloud mount going on somewhere what are all the cloud services you have running? and what folders are mounted to each service?

Did you clobber spotlight indices?

Did you try saving to /tmp? (the meta data is from a file in your home directory).

What filesystem(s) are you running on?

Did you confirm your home directory is not shared with iCloud?

What was syslog showing? It's maybe rare you don't get mdworker issues reported there.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:05 AM

Sorry my bad english and lack of clarity... I meant that I have tried and checked everything you suggested, something now, something earlier (I've been banging my head on this about two months now). I have rebuilt Spotlight index several times. The file system is APFS, home directory is not shared with iCloud... What else did you ask...
I do not run any other cloud services with my work computers, only Dropbox, and all my work files are local (Boot/users/shared/Dropbox) until I'm finished with them and then I put them online only.

That metadata thing then... It was kinda last pity try to figure out what's going on here and so I checked it to see if there is any difference between files that search finds and files that it don't find. And yes, there sure is.

As I mentioned, I have this very same problem with both of my computers. I can understand if one computer fails to do something but when the same thing happens in two different computers it sends my thoughts to somewhere outside them. And as PT file saving is the only suspicious thing here it's the obvious target. Sorry, Avid.

Avid support contacted me finally and scheduled a call later this week. I feel a bit more hopeful now.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:02 AM

Whenever I see people complaining of 'missing' folders/files, the first thing that comes to mind is that iCloud Drive is turned on for "Desktop and Documents" folders. This will cause havoc with Pro Tools. Also, as Darryl pointed out, if you're saving to dropbox and dropbox's Smart Sync is set to default to "offline only" you'll have similar problem. Save your sessions to a dedicated audio drive and I bet things go better.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6