Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-26-2015, 08:04 PM

Default Pro Tools HD 13

Dearest Avid,

Thanks for the cloud colab stuff in PT12. No doubt a useful idea...

For PTHD 13 could you please:

- increase voice count (at least for HDX users), bring back the option to manually allocate voices, or make dynamic voice allocation smarter (or all of the above) so that non-simultaneously playing tracks that share the same routing don't eat up voices
- make an EQIV plugin that runs AAX DSP and is almost as good as FabFilter's Q2
- bring back the option in Pitch II (Audiosuite) to not time compress
- give us the option to move the meters to the other side of the fader so S6 users' brains don't explode
- freeze track / bounce in place (just in case it doesn't appear / work in PT12)
- incorporate some automator workflows ala Batch Commander
- give us the ability to undo the dreaded accidental "mute all" (I know, it's petty...)
- create a better workspace browser for auditioning sounds
- since the cloud is hovering overhead, give users the option to authenticate PT online rather than with an iLok - we're all tired of the dang iLok (again, think FabFilter, SoundToys, Valhalla, etc)

Wink!

Semi-sincerely,
your loud neighbor
Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 13

HDX 3 can do up to 768 voices - you need more than that?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
HDX 3 can do up to 768 voices - you need more than that?
Hi Roberts!

I regularly need more than 256 (48K) / 128 (96K) and occasionally hit the wall at 512 / 256. Briefly, here's why I think voices are an issue: I've never maxed out an HDX card DSP-wise (mostly native plugins since there aren't many good AAX DSP options) but due to the way HDX separates the mixer / DSP processing I had to buy a second card just to enable more voices. This second HDX card (at another $5k) does absolutely nothing else for me. Admittedly, voices are a bit of a mystery to me but I'm beginning to think that the set voice count in general seems a bit conservative, or arbitrary or - for fear of sounding accusatory - strategic? Check out this thread - note the recent software tweak to allow 64 free voices with PT 11.1.3. At any rate, it doesn't appear to be entirely hardware dependent.

If you're regularly dealing with large sessions and want to keep things somewhat organized, you'll run into the issue that used to be resolved in TDM days by reallocating voices manually. This video explains it. No one wants to return to TDM, but no one wants to drop $5k on another HDX card to access voices either.

Just wondering if there's a better way to deal with voices...