Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-21-2002, 02:30 PM

Default XP Upraders... I HIGHLY recommend...

For those of you who are NOT certain you're are going to have a trouble free install (and you NEVER "know" for certain!), I highly recommend you go out and buy a copy of Norton Ghost 2002 and make a image file of your current C drive before upgrading. That way, you can always go back to 98se / ME if you have any problems, and it will only take a couple of minutes. And you can use it to make a image file of your XP drive once you have that all working well.

It beats the heck out of a few hours of install time if you DO have a problem...

There's nothing in it for me. I just really think the program's a lifesaver.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:37 PM

Default Re: XP Upraders... I HIGHLY recommend...

I *think* there's also another way. I currently only have one audio-drive, and since the 32 tracks will demand more from my hd, i am going to get me another one.

So i get a new harddisk, and a copy of winXP, and do a clean install on the new harddisk. Then i hook up my old drive as slave, and i can copy everything i want to my new disk. After checking everything i the format the old drive, and then i have upgraded my system completely....

The only thing i am worried about is the authorization of my waves power pack....

Bastiaan
Old 06-23-2002, 04:53 AM

Still Bastiaan,

if you can get yourself Ghost, take it!
It is a great thing to have. Should your OS ever get scrumbled you´ll be save again within minutes.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Lalaman
Old 06-23-2002, 10:05 AM

Phil O'Keefe,
I'm in total agreement with you about using Norton's Ghost utility. It has come to my aid on numerous occasions, especially with regard to beta testing, etc. I also highly recommend it. I even have found it superior to PowerQuest's Drive Image (faster and more reliable). All would be wise to have it!
Old 06-23-2002, 10:12 AM

Phil,
Your advice should be mandatory. I just switched 2 pc's from ME to XP Pro, and without a ghost image of a previous ME setup on each one, I would still be in that dreaded 'Twilight Zone' with no way back.
Now, to get PT loaded...

Thanks, Roy
Old 06-23-2002, 10:22 AM

I keep an image of just the OS, the OS plus just PTLE and OS, PTLE plus and other audio apps (Sound Forge, T-Rax etc). They don't take up much space and I can go back at any stage to a clean version. I reload a clean image every couple weeks. This is like doing a new install. I'm sure this has contributed to the stability of my system.

Can't recommend Ghost enough - $40 well spent!
Old 06-23-2002, 04:02 PM

I do the English Jim method- and can't rave enough about the time saving- usually 7 hours the "old way".
I do use Drive Image, and can't speak to the 'faster' Ghost statement,(having never used Ghost), I have never had a failure in a Drive Image restoration. Can't get more reliable than 100%...
By keeping your Images or Ghosts or whatever on CD's you are immune from practically every calamity. The only way to fly!
Old 06-23-2002, 08:14 PM

Ghost saves lives...

I have run into some major problems in the middle or right before a session and luckily I had a clean image of my system with everything installed and working to load.. only takes 1 minute to load the ghost image too.. it came out to about 200mb (on a 98SE machine)
Old 06-23-2002, 08:38 PM

I was already dual booting with XP Pro. I just installed it with the upmost of ease. I'm very excited except bomb factory doesn't XP (yet) with their plugin's....

Cheers
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 06-24-2002, 04:21 AM

Paco,
All you have to do is right click on the ProTools icon, then choose properties, then compatibility tab, and set it for Windows2000. You can then run the Bombfactory plug-ins without any adverse effects. Use this method until bomb factory updates their plug-ins to run under XP.