Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-16-2000, 11:47 AM

Default PT 4.3/mix/ dsp - what can I expect

Been using my tools for a while but first time I am really trying to mix a project in PT, so I am banging my head with a lack of dsp...on average about 24 audio track/4 aux st i/p and a master fader. Ends up I can run cca 7 eq,2-3 comp,dverb,dly and a st comp.....Just wondering if any of you guyz could tell me is that normal.....

PT 4.3
OS 8.0
BW G3-266
888/24

Thanx in advance

Zed
Old 05-18-2000, 06:57 AM

Default Re: PT 4.3/mix/ dsp - what can I expect

The more you mix in PT the more you find
ways to burn up DSP.... it reminds me
of an old drug habit. Except more expensive.
Old 05-18-2000, 08:01 AM
Avid

What cards do you have installed: PTIII, PT24, Mix, MixPlus? How many addtional farms?

Brent
Old 05-20-2000, 09:20 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
What cards do you have installed: PTIII, PT24, Mix, MixPlus? How many addtional farms?

Brent
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I forgot that little detail
Just a mix core......

Thanx
Old 05-21-2000, 08:16 PM

At least you have a Mix core, i only have 1dsp farm card, and i been in your same situation....

I can´t tell you how i´ll like to have a mix plus or more dsp but in the meantime what i do is using just EQ and Compression in realtime and just in key tracks and always left one Chip empty till the end as an Joker(???). Since the begining i had to konw what i want in generally and apply Audiosuite version of reverb and everything else(delays, etc)(i repeat, this is not a desirable stage, but....).

There´s one advantage on this approach... least plug-ins used better final sound.(i might be wrong)

If i´m working with more than 15 tracks i never use Sends(there goes all my dsp).....

Hey at least you have a Mix core!!! Be happy.

Maybe this is not useful for you, but in my situation there are no other alternative than being creative and use what i have a 110%!!!

Old 05-22-2000, 10:19 AM
Avid

Let me preface my post with this:
It is impossible to provide exact plug-in counts for our hardware since there is always a trade-off between which plug-ins are being used in each session.

Each Mix card contain 3 different types of chips (from least to most powerful): NoRAM (1), DRAM (2), SRAM (3). While some plug-ins are able to exist on any of these chips, there are a few that will only instantiate on the more powerful ones. In addition, two other factors which determine the overall plug-in count is Multishell compatibility and the DSP Manager. Multishell is a technology that allows different plug-ins share the same chip. While the DSP Farms are capable of multiple instantions of a specific category of plug-in on a single chip, (EQs, Compressors, Gates, etc), Mix cards are able to load multiple types (such as all previous examples) of plug-ins on the same chip (providing that the plug-in is Multi-shell compatible which all the core Digi plugs are). Lastly, the DSP Manager (introduced in PT 4.3) was introduced to allow the DSP on the cards to be used as efficiently as possible. This entails a "DSP shuffling" procedure which reallocates the card's DSP resources when a plug-in cannot open in the currently available space.

For some numbers (instances per chip):
32 voice Mixer= 1 SRAM
64 voice Mixer= 2 SRAM
Dynamics II: 16 mono/ 8 stereo
4 band EQ: 9 mono/ 4 stereo
Virus: 8 instantiations (stereo) per SRAM
LexiVerb: 1 (SRAM only)
AmpFarm: 1 (SRAM or DRAM) per instantiation

Brent