Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 10-05-2017, 05:05 PM

Default MOTU Audio Express 6x6

For a number of reasons, I'm seriously considering retiring my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and going with the MOTU Audio Express 6x6. My studio is set up for me working basically solo to create sound tracks for video/games etc, so I don't require multiple audio input/outputs. I do use the S/PDif all the time, and both the Scarlett and the MOTU have that.

One reason for considering the change is the ongoing issues with Focusrite regarding all sorts of havoc on the system whenever I want to change sample rates between sessions as I recently discussed here on the forum.. Its also been discussed prior several times in the 3rd Party Interface forum, as others with Focusrites have experienced similar issues. So, that, along with the fact that Focusrite has discontinued the 8i6 line, and aren't likely to provide any future upgrades to the drivers, has made me begin looking for a different solution.

With that in mind I would like to ask of anyone who uses MOTU Audio Interfaces the following:

1. How does the MOTU interfaces in general (and the Audio Express in particular) handle sample rate changes with Pro Tools? Does doing that cause crashes, hangups or other issues?

2. Does the Audio Express allow for audio loopback? That's feature I often need to use as well, for a number of reasons, Reason, being the main one. I can't see it mentioned anywhere in the product description, but then it wasn't mentioned in the description of the 8i6 either, and it does have that. So, I'm asking.

3. How is the audio quality of MOTU versus a Focusrite? One thing I always liked about the Focusrite was the clarity of the sound I got. It was a quantum leap above what I had prior, which, admittedly wasn't high end ( the older Digidesign MBox 2 Mini). I've seen some MOTU users here say they find the quality on the MOTU to be excellent. I hope that is the case.

4. Durability is another issue. Certainly the Focusrite has been durable. In fact, I've not had a single hardware issue with it since I bought it 4 years ago (maybe 5). I assume the MOTU's are equally durable.

5. Ease of set up and use. From what I can tell, the Audio Express is pretty easy to set up and use.

And finally, might there be other recommendations for an audio interface I might consider? The Scarlett 8i6 or the MOTU Audio Express 6x6 have all the audio in/outs I need. So, given that, and that I need S/PDif in/out, and audio loopback, what else is out there of good quality I might consider. I'd like to keep the cost in the $3-500 range. I mainly work in either 44.1k or 48k sample rate, depending on the project requirements. I know the MOTU has the Firewire connection, but its unlikely I'll be recording a full orchestra requiring 56 inputs anytime soon, so probably the USB 2 is more than adequate for what I do. Although, if there's additional benefits beyond bandwidth to FW vs USB, I can certainly take advantage of that.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!