How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Getting error and ProTools will not launch

I replied to your PM.

What version of Pro Tools are you running?
Have you installed the Focusrite Control software?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhewett View Post
I replied to your PM.

What version of Pro Tools are you running?
Have you installed the Focusrite Control software?
Currently I'm running the latest of pro tools 12.8.2. Since I have the Scarlett Solo the official site only game me the latest driver to install it. I've already set it to default device and audio is coming through it just fine when I test it with youtube. I'n currently downloading the Focusrite Control software. I'll let you how it goes.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 PM

It looks like the Solo doesn't use the Focusrite Control software.

I will post the info I got from Avid Support:

Make sure that Pro Tools is closed before connecting or disconnecting your audio interface. Never disconnect the interface while Pro Tools is open. Afterwards, do the following:

- Close [Pro Tools].
- Hold 'alt' and click on [Go] (Menu Bar)
- Click on [Library]
- Go to [Preferences]
- Go to [Avid]
- Delete the [Pro Tools] folder, then empty trash.
- Go to Spotlight Search (upper right corner), and type in Audio MIDI setup.
- On the list at the right, you will see several devices. Select Pro Tools Aggregate I/O.
- Click on '-' (minus) at the lower left corner of the window.
- Open Finder
- Go to [Macintosh HD] / your main hard drive
- Go to [Users]
- Go to [Shared]
- Delete the [Pro Tools] folder, then empty trash.
- Open [Pro Tools]
- Click on [File] > [New] to create a new session.
- Test by creating a click track and play back.
- If everything is working fine, try loading up one of your sessions and test.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 AM

That advice appears to be for Mac. Since this is the Windows forum, and since the OP has given NO useable information about his computer, I have to assume he is on Windows. Please look at the "Help Us Help You" Link at the top of every forum. Do all the troubleshooting and optimizations listed. Still having trouble? Start a new thread with your specific problem, what you've tried and a Sandra report.

First thing I would do though, if you really are on Windows, is make sure your Focusrite is NOT the default audio device for Windows sounds/audio. Use your onboard sound card for Windows sounds/audio and your Focusrite ONLY for Pro Tools.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-04-2017, 11:03 AM

Downloading and installing Trasher and ASIO4all fixed the problem for me, thank you, Christopher.

But, WTH would Windows7 Pro x64 OS not have already the necessary driver (or whatever) to use the multiple audio outs that are built into the PC's motherboard? When I ran the Sound Playback Devices control panel, set it to 5.1, I could get the test tones output just fine. It was when I tried to restart PT (latest V12) after that setting change that it refused to boot.

I'm only using the analog outs in the short-term, until I get my PCIx FireWire add-in card. Then, we'll install the FwX32 so we can send all the tracks directly to the SC48 console as intended.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardssllc View Post
Downloading and installing Trasher and ASIO4all fixed the problem for me, thank you, Christopher.

But, WTH would Windows7 Pro x64 OS not have already the necessary driver (or whatever) to use the multiple audio outs that are built into the PC's motherboard? When I ran the Sound Playback Devices control panel, set it to 5.1, I could get the test tones output just fine. It was when I tried to restart PT (latest V12) after that setting change that it refused to boot.

I'm only using the analog outs in the short-term, until I get my PCIx FireWire add-in card. Then, we'll install the FwX32 so we can send all the tracks directly to the SC48 console as intended.
Its the core audio on windows that doesn't work with PT hence the need for a virtual driver aka asio4all.

Glad I could help

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks again -

But of course the obvious follow-up question: If the Windows core audio works enough to send out analog Stereo and 5.1 through the 1/8" outs on the motherboard (and via SPDIF, too), then is it really a Windows problem, or a ProTools shortcoming? I suspect Microsoft will blame it on AVID; i.e., the PT code is not properly setup to use the built-in audio features of the PC.

It may be a moot point after we get the FireWire card, but it's still an unnecessary frustration to require two third party add-ins (Trasher and ASIO) to make PT playback through built-in, standard Windows PC audio hardware.

While I'm on the soap box, the FireWire thing in general is a PIA for Windows platforms. In my company's entire laptop collection, only one (a Dell Latitude E6510) even has a FireWire connector in the first place, and there's not a Windows driver available that will make it work properly. MS and Dell are no help, as if they're not interested - "FireWire was a Mac thing, anyway". At some point, if AVID is really committed to making PT truly cross-platform, they need to be compatible with routine Windows PC hardware, don't you agree?
Old 11-04-2017, 01:56 PM

First off Trasher is not required to run PT. It is just a faster way to trash preferences and databases and other files you wanna delete.

Secondly Asio4all is needed for running audio into PT on Windows machines if you don't have an interface. Has been for a while now and it has nothing to do with internal sounds or 5.1 etc. Pro tools require that in order to find the internal sound and nothing else can be done until you get a interface with the drivers to remove asio4all.

I agree it is a weird way and on Mac you can run internal card straight out the box so my guess is how windows communicate with DAW software. As we never used windows I cant explain the tech side but you need the virtual driver to use PT on your computer.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-04-2017, 03:36 PM

Actually, core audio is Mac only.

The issue is that your onboard soundcard does not have an ASIO driver. ASIO4ALL is analogous to a wrapper that allows your onboard soundcard to work with a program that is looking for an ASIO driver.

Windows has never had a built-in ASIO driver, doubt they ever will supply one. Latest versions of Pro Tools are supposed to work with WASAPI, but I haven't gotten that to work, so far.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction

Last edited by The Weed; 11-04-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Actually, core audio is Mac only.

The issue is that your onboard soundcard does not have an ASIO driver. ASIO4ALL is analogous to a wrapper that allows your onboard soundcard to work with a program that is looking for an ASIO driver.

Windows has never had a built-in ASIO driver, doubt they ever will supply one. Latest versions of Pro Tools are supposed to work with WASAPI, but I haven't gotten that to work, so far.
You see Not a windows guy.

Thanks Bruce!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————