Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Using ANY midicontroller as plugin controller in PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
Just did a quick google and it seems that you can edit the CC values from within the controller ( a pain, yes!)... It seems like that anyway.
If that doesnt work there is BOME midi editor or whatever it is called. It can take incoming midi messages and translate them into new ones. There is a trial version somewhere.
Cheers!

It turns out there was a typo in the manual, and it does look like this might actually be a goer.

If I actually get this working (wont be until I've finished the next few mixes I'm working on) I'll put the file on line.

Anyway, here are the instructions.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post

I,m the same as Carl ..stuck on PT10 with the Axiom pro.

As soon as most of my plugins went AAX64, and a maintenance release killed Hypercontrol, I ditched PT10 (other than for backwards compatibility) and moved to PT11.

11 has worked really well for me - I'm just waiting on a full (non-beta) release from FXpansion re. DCAM Synth Squad.

If Avid and InMusic will actually talk to each other, we should get this Hypercontrol mess sorted out. But right now they're passing the buck back and forth.

Which Axiom Pro do you have?

All the AIR range (except the Mini32) now have a working Hypercontrol update, that is specifically for PT11.

If it's one of the older ones, you may also be able to re-map the CC output???
Old 10-15-2014, 04:31 PM

Hi Carl.
I have the Axiom pro ..the white one. Pre Air range. I think it was the final version. Hypercontrol got dropped at PT 10.3.xx somewhere there.
I thought the new hypercontrol for the Air models(-the 32model) was still limited... not fully functional on the plug in etc… do to Avids lack of interest.

Basically i want full hypercontrol in PT11 but its still no go on any keyboard…yes?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:44 AM

There is a new Hypercontrol driver for the Axiom AIR 25 / 49 / 61

Mac OS 10.7.5 - OS 10.9.1

Windows 7 (64bit)

That was released in March this year - I thought, from what I'd heard from other Axiom AIR users (I think on this very forum) that it works - I've no idea if it's 100% as functional as it was originally.

It's a standalone utility, that you launch once, and by default Hypercontrol is not activated (due to incompatibility with some other DAWs), so you need to switch it on, before going through the peripherals set-up in Pro tools.

Give it a go, it may possibly work with the older Axioms.

The best m-audio support can offer us lowly Mini32 owners, is excuses that they are waiting for Avid to give them the driver - like Avid have any interest in a company they no longer own.

They suggested I try the above linked driver, even though it's only for the 25 / 49 / 61, as it might work with the Mini32 - I tried it. It didn't work.

You'd expect their support to know definitively if it would or wouldn't work in advance (I had a pretty good inkling) - instead you get the usual, give it a go / try turning it off and on.

Although I realise I'm basically making the same suggestion to you, with regard to your older Axiom...
Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 AM

^^ Thanks Carl. will give it a whirl
Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
^^ Thanks Carl. will give it a whirl
No problem.

You know, the thing that really infuriates me, is if you search the Avid Knowledge Base for Hypercontrol, it asks you if you mean "Hover Control".

Never mind a God darned Hover Board, I want Hover Control functionality in Pro Tools - now! It's the 21st Century for Chrissakes!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Hey! I imported the options to Korg KOntrol Editor and saved the preferences to the controller.

But I still can't get it working. In PT8 I added M-Audio Keyboard and set Recieve and send from Nanokontrol.

Then I added plugins (tried with PT stock 7-band EQ) but when I press marker arrows, rewind or forward nothing happens.

What am I missing??
I really need to get it working!

Thanks a lot in advance for your time!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 PM

Default Using ANY midicontroller as plugin controller in PT

Is your channel lit up with a blue outlining? If yes, that means that the protocol is engaged. If it is blue go on an select a track with your mouse. Insert 2-3 plugins. Press rewind. Does it toggle through the plugins? If yes, press fast forward to select the plugin and tweak knobs.

How far do you get with the above before stuff goes wrong?

And please double check your cc settings by receiving the preset FROM your controller in the korg software, and compare it to the picture that I have in the top of the thread maybe the actual file I uploaded is kaput? But as long as you configure the controller to match the picture the controller should be good to go.

:)
Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 AM

Just wondering if JAY UK ever came up with a solution. Did the update work? I own the same Axiom Pro with hypercontrol. Did the link for the update to the Air model work?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 AM

FWIW, my interest got piqued again about using my M-Audio Axiom 49 (not the AiR or Pro version) for plugin control. My controller doesn't use HyperControl, it uses DirectLink. I had no experience with learning the MIDI Learn function or with creating maps. If this is already common knowledge then please disregard, as I said, doing these mappings is new to me.

- First hit the INST button on the controller, which changes the sliders and rotaries to plugin/VI control instead of channel fader and pan controls
- I opened up an instance of Waves H-EQ. The default rotary and slider controls were mapped horribly and were unusable.
- From H-EQ I clicked on the little down-arrow next to "Map" and created a new one.
- This automatically put the new map into Learn mode.
- Click on a plugin parameter, and once it's highlighted in red, start moving the desired slider or rotary encoder. You won't see the parameter change on the plugin, which is what confused me at first. However, next to the "Learn" button I dropped down the parameter menu and noticed that the ones I had tried to assign controls to were highlighted, meaning they had learned the function.
- From the map dropdown menu, I renamed the map. I then had to disable the plugin and then re-enable it to get it out of Learn mode.
- The new map I created is now in the available maps drop down menu. I selected it and then from the main maps drop down arrow, selected it as the default map.

This seems to be working fine! I haven't tested it across a bunch of plugins yet, but I will be doing so today and will report back any problems.