Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Re: I cant hear parts I'm punching in!

Thanks for checking into the previous build. (and recreating it on a mac)

I have had PT12 for a week. This 'bug' was/is driving me crazy. As i mentioned, I've been doing this in Sonar for years. (they refer to it as input echo).

I've spent too many hours researching this, and, although this thread is old, the last message, before I added my first post, was never answered.

Not sure what to do now, as this 'bug' or issue, is making Pro Tools unusable for me.

Yes, could others chime in here and see if they are having these issues too?
Or is there something 'not so obvious' that I'm overlooking?
Here, again, is the small, to the point, 2 minute YouTube vid link to show this
issue.

https://youtu.be/jXB8JwZRx6c

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 11-16-2017, 02:59 PM

I may be having a long running brain fart here, can't even think clearly. I've made mess of this thread, and gone back and just deleted some of my posts as they just add to the confusion and misstate things. Sorry for that.

Bob create a Aux input track set it up with the Guitar input and output you want. Insert plugins you want on that Aux as well as on the track being recorded. That lets you monitor your guitar at all time.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-16-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Ok. Thanks. Is this a workaround? It will work this way but one disadvantage is that I need to keep changing my plugins/amp sims on the aux track to match the recording track(s).
ex. I have a PT template with 20 different tracks, each with it's own
amps/plugin inserts.
In Sonar, I just go to one of those tracks, and get instant monitoring and recording. All set with keyboard shortcuts and instant sound/creativity.

Using Sonar for years as my main DAW, I have always worked this way.
Other DAWs seem to function like Sonar too. Ex. Reaper has a record option 'monitor track media while recording' and a few other useful options.

So, Is this Pro Tools normal function? Or is this a bug? Is there a reason that it's not implemented into the normal tracking workflow?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-16-2017, 09:30 PM

Ok. Confirmed. This is how Pro Tools works. I'm spoiled by the ease of Sonar when it comes to input monitoring (input echo). I though all DAWs that had input monitoring would function like Sonar. (and most other DAWs do, it seems).

If you have 'track input monitoring' on, it seems to me that you should be able to 'monitor the input' of the track, regardless of whether it is in play or record mode. And when we are in 'track input monitoring' mode, it seems nuts that we are not able to hear the track media. I understand that sometimes you don't what to hear it, but the option to hear the track should exist.

Pro Tools is a complex DAW, and understandably bigger studios may not need this ease of tracking, (because of different routing needs, headphone mixes, and extra hands, to punch in and out) but now in 2017 many small/home studios with a musician/engineer doing it themselves, having this feature would be nice.

As a musician/engineer I can't understand why I need the Pro Tools 'track input monitoring' feature at all, seeing that I have to go back to the way it used to be done, with the aux track and loading duplicate plugins..etc.

It would be great to see this feature, (option) become available in a future release.
Thanks once more!
Bob
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 AM

Thanks for looking at it more carefully, you've probably noticed the Reference Guide does describe the behavior you are seeing, when they say input only the really mean input only. The behavior here goes back to multi-track tape and simpler analog consoles and other DAWS decided to do things differently. And what you might want to monitor at a console as an engineer and as a performer are different... and in that world, and in Pro Tools, the engineer (and performer in our cases) sets up a cue mix for the performer to do what they want.

FWIW Logic Pro behaves like Pro Tools here. If you are punching in in Pro Tools make sure you understand how playlists work.

Sorry again for not looking at your videos carefully enough and misunderstanding what you were asking.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-17-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the follow up Darryl! I'm coming from Sonar, and a bit of Reaper, both of which function differently than Pro Tools in this regard.

I'm glad I realize it now. It's not a routing issue, or a bug....etc.
I can get adjusted pretty quickly now that I'm not banging my head against the wall.

I definitely understand the big studio purpose of this functionality.
It would be nice additional option to have a recording choice such as what I have needed to do.

Thanks again!
Bob