Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-02-2017, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Anyone Using Cloud Collaboration

But again, is anyone paying for it? Or willing to? Avid did this to create a revenue stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riture View Post
My 2 cents:

1. Those using Cloud Collaboration could be exchanging files quietly since they trust each other or are happy to maintain money-making connections without announcing to the world.

2. Prior to Cloud Collaboration, there was eSession's defunct Virtual Glass which was for PT only; engineers could 'see' each other live and collaborate on a project. Not sure if some lost faith since then.

3. There are many great musicians/producers willing to collaborate; it's a question of finding them.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
But again, is anyone paying for it? Or willing to? Avid did this to create a revenue stream.
I'd pay for it if it turns out to be useful. My guess is a small percentage of Avid's pro user base actually hangs out on this forum.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:28 PM

It's actually a very cool thing but it will take time.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM

We've tried it. It's far too clunky for important sessions. And the pace at which they're introducing improvements/fixes isn't leaving us optimistic. So we've more or less written it off. The idea is smart -- the implementation has not been.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:54 AM

I've been trying it for two or three weeks, and it's been a nightmare.

When it works it's arguably more convenient than exchanging audio files via Dropbox, but the amount of time my colleague and I have spent troubleshooting has so far negated any advantage of PT collaboration.

The worst was yesterday, when Pro Tools deleted all three of the Projects in my local cache. One minute they were there - I saw all three Project bundles in the folder (and verified that they were complete by examining the Audio files inside, which you can do via "Show Package Contents" in the Mac Finder) - and the next minute they were gone.

And for reasons which Avid support has so far been unable to explain, I can't download them from the Cloud.

For me, at least, it's been a disaster. Maybe I should reserve the word "disaster" in case they lose my data, but being unable to access my Projects is bad enough.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK88 View Post
I've been trying it for two or three weeks, and it's been a nightmare.

When it works it's arguably more convenient than exchanging audio files via Dropbox, but the amount of time my colleague and I have spent troubleshooting has so far negated any advantage of PT collaboration.

The worst was yesterday, when Pro Tools deleted all three of the Projects in my local cache. One minute they were there - I saw all three Project bundles in the folder (and verified that they were complete by examining the Audio files inside, which you can do via "Show Package Contents" in the Mac Finder) - and the next minute they were gone.

And for reasons which Avid support has so far been unable to explain, I can't download them from the Cloud.

For me, at least, it's been a disaster. Maybe I should reserve the word "disaster" in case they lose my data, but being unable to access my Projects is bad enough.
Sorry to hear this. I hope there is an easy fix. I'm staying away from CC for now.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Sorry to hear this. I hope there is an easy fix. I'm staying away from CC for now.

C
Thanks.

Yesterday I finally was able to download my Projects.

Avid support had told me to uninstall 12.8 and go back to 12.7.1. I did that, but it didn't help. It was while running 12.7.1 that my Project Caches were deleted, though I can't say that this wouldn't have happened under 12.8.

After a couple of days of failed attempts at downloading the Projects via 12.7.1, I updated back to 12.8 via App Manager. Then I was able to download the Projects.

I suspect that at least some of the server issues had been resolved by then, but that's just a guess.

There were a number of issues during and after the downloads, which I describe in this thread.

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2445148&postcount=7

One of the most absurd ones is that due to a bug, PT was duplicating audio files in some Projects. My cloud usage meter went from the mid or upper 40s up to 59 percent without me or my colleague doing anything.

Bottom line: I converted the Projects to Sessions and my colleague will be sending audio via Dropbox.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 AM

My problem with CC is most people I know still don't have PT 12. They are still on 10 or lower for whatever reason. A lot of other people I know don't use Pro Tools at all.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 09-11-2017, 09:31 AM

The fact that this forum is so dead answers that question loud and clear. Not many are using the Avid brand of collaboration.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:19 AM

I tried using it with my brother and even with him and his laptop sitting side by side we had all kinds of gremlins. I would send tracks and they would show up blank sometimes. Other times it wouldn’t let us edit or take ownership of the track shared. Great concept that is not even close to being ready for prime time. How on earth Maroon 5 seems to have had a trouble free experience in those promo videos is beyond me.