Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 AM

Default Re: How to Connect Digi003R to VRM Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Did you make sure the Spidf signal of the VRM box is locked to the Spidf signal from the 003 (the little lock icon in the bottom right corner)? And make sure the 003 is set to internal clock.
First of all, one needs to decide which box is the clock master. If it's the 003 (internal clock) then it is the VRM box that needs to lock into the 003 clock. Not the other way around. If the VRM box is the clock master then the 003 should get a lock but then the 003 should be set to accept external clock.

As I can see, the VRM box only has SPDIF input which means that, yes, the 003 needs to be clock master and the VRM box needs to get a lock into the word clock feed that goes with the SPDIF signal. There should be very little configuration going on, only the SPDIF cable between the boxes and matching sample rates if that needs to be set on the VRM box. And because it says it has automatic sample rate conversion even that should not be an issue.

What I think might be the issue is the USB connector. Disconnect the USB (which may or may not try to exchange signals) and connect the SPDIF cable first. Then re-connect the USB power after your 003 should feed the word clock signal to the SPDIF.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:20 AM

Elliot, thanks so much - I downloaded it and the patch worked great. I able to hear how the VRMBox works. However, the bad part is I now know how the VRMBox works. The latency is so bad via S/PDIF that it renders the piece of gear useless. Unless I'm missing something, which is very possible, I don't see how the VRMBox would help anyone. I changed buffer size, but still no good. Again, I could totally be missing a step, but at this point, I'm setting here with a square paper weight and I'm quite unhappy about it.

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM

I'm not sure how latency is an issue here.

You're not trying to record and track while using this, are you?

Because that's not at all what it's meant for.

You should only be using this when you're mixing. Latency shouldn't be an issue when you're mixing, because you're not trying to record anything while it's going on.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM

I actually took the time to skim through the web page, and yes, Focusrite does not specify the latency anywhere. Unbelieveable! So this is something you can use for a feel-good listening, or perhaps mixing even, but you cannot use this for tracking because of the unknown latency.

If latency is over 10ms (or sometimes less than that) people are going to percieve that as a delay. Generally speaking 10ms should be fine. But something like this may very well be much much more.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Got a call from Focusrite and we were able to get it all taken care of - re-installed the new patch they put out for Mac Lion and all was good. Except, I do have some ground loop'y high pitch buzz that comes through my studio monitors when VRM is locked via S/PDIF. I have power conditioner etc. so not sure what's up but I can't have my studio monitors on with the VRM on....gotta find out what that is.

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM

But again, this is made only for mixing, to hear what your mix sounds like on different speakers. I don't know why anyone would want to track through something like this. It would do more harm then good.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM

So sorry - I did not mean to imply I'm tracking to it. I'm doing just as it's designed, listening after recording to see how it sounds of different monitors.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Now that you have it working, how do you like it? Is it helping with your mixes being able to translate better? Seems like a cool product if it does indeed help.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:55 PM

I"m a voiceover guy but I also do audio production, so I'm not like the "bigger" folks on this forum. That said, I'm getting use to the "room reverb" that's part of the way it works. Although, why they still have that on the "professional studio" setting is beyond me. Trouble is I'm still having some kind of software issue with it on my Mac w/Lion and they have not been able to figure it out yet. It works great for about 30 seconds but then it starts sounding like it's only playing every other second of audio - so it's got a "skipping" sound to it like a broken radio transmission. Other times I can stop playing something and it will loop about a half second of the audio indefinitely.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm using with an HD system & I think the last patch finally fixed the ML issue. I like using it very much as a '2nd opinion' at various points in the mixing process. I have 3 sets of speakers I reference thru, but hearing how a mix will respond on other 'virtual speakers' is xtremely helpful. Helps take the guesswork out of how it will translate in the 'real world'....