Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Apogee Symphony word clock to HD Omni - how?

I just bought a HD Native system with the Omni interface along with an Apogee Symphony 16/16 analog. I intend to use the Symphony as the main interface going to a summing buss and the Omni just for monitoring.

I understand how to proceed except for how to connect BNC cables for syncing clock. The manuals for both products are very confusing on this question. Do I...

(A) - Connect the Symphony's WC Out to the Omni's WC in?
(B) - Connect the Symphony's Loop Out to the Omni's Loop In, and the Omni's Loop Out to the Symphony's Loop In?
(C) - Both of the above??

Also, should the Symphony's terminal switch be IN or OUT?

The manuals seem to be saying (B) but they're not clear. The dealer's tech support staff insists that it's (A). Which is right?
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony word clock to HD Omni - how?

A. If you are not connecting the Apogee to the HD Native card with a Digilink cable, you'd use the word clock connection.

B. If you are connecting the Apogee to the HD Native card with a Digilink cable, you'd use the loop sync connection.

Note that if "A" is indeed your situation, the digital mixer or whatever it is you have in between the Apogee and Omni should also be in the word clock chain. But I don't think that "A" is the most effective use of the Symphony in your situation.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
B. If you are connecting the Apogee to the HD Native card with a Digilink cable, you'd use the loop sync connection.
Thank you, John!
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Thank you, John!
No problem. Basically in your situation, both interfaces are connected to the HDNative card, so you just treat the apogee is if it were an HD I/O. So it's interface #1, and the Omni is interface #2... just run loop sync from the apogee's out to the omni's in.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

I can see that now. Your explanation made it clear immediately.

The Omni manual reads: "Loop Sync should only be used to chain multiple Pro Tools|HD peripherals together (audio interfaces and SYNC HD or SYNC I/O)," which almost - but not quite - implies Avid hardware only. Then the dealer's tech support response to my question completely threw me off. You'd think by now I'd know better than to ask them.
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur