Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Default Extreme PT8 instability, Loading plugins, saving, closing, moving... anything

I'm extremely irritated with Pro Tools 8 LE.

I haven't bought any major plugins because it's not even working with it's own plugins. I have EWQL PLAY installed (and updated to the most recent and it STILL doesnt help). And I have Massey plugins, other than that, the rest of the plugins should be Digi plug-ins or a factory bundle.

Every other save, Pro Tools crashes.

Every other time I load a plugin (it can be the EQ3 or D-verb, it doesnt matter) it will crash.

If change bus outputs, it will crash.

I cannot pinpoint the problem because Pro Tools crashes no matter what I do. I have an Apple Mac Pro with plenty of ram and fast harddrives, and I'm running an MBOX 2.

Besides the fact the the MBOX 2 is still practically incompatible with the intel macs, I should still be able to run the program. This is absolutely insanity. If anyone has any suggestions besides lighting the mbox on fire that would be great. I've searched this forum over and over and nothing helps because there are more problems than solutions. I will try to post up the report log when it happens again, and trust me, it will.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Extreme PT8 instability, Loading plugins, saving, closing, moving... anything

If it is any consulation. I feel your pain! I am with you on this. All I know is that the RTAS processor setting shoud be 1 less than the number of Processors you have in your system. For example I have 2 processors, I set it to 1 and it became a little more stable. Good luck bro. I really wished I had spent my hard earned money on something more stable, geez.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Extreme PT8 instability, Loading plugins, saving, closing, moving... anything

Yeah, just to comment on that. Im using 3 out of 4 for processors and 95% CPU usage, from research its supposed to be the most efficient way. Hmmm, not really.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Avid

Crashes should not be occurring.

If you can send me a crash report (ending in .crash) as well as a complete system profile, details about what you're doing when it crashes, etc. I can take a look to see if we can figure out what's happening.

Send them to : vi [at] digidesign [dot] com

Please put the thread number in the subject of the message, as well as attached to any documents (including the crash report) that you send, so we can easily identify them should they get separated.

See the Help Us Help You thread for details about what we need to know - the more detail, the better.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM

get the cs3 update and http://www.jcdeshaies.com/ the current database and pref cleaner. I did this and everything came to life.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Thanks for responding so fast DigiTechSupport, I need to do some more editing so I will post up when PT8 crashes again. I downloaded CS3 and found a slight improvement. I feel that I don't have to cross my finger when it saves now. But it's still crashing at odd times. The pref/database tool looks very handy, I will try it out though I'd like to be careful how I handle those kinds of things.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 PM

C.Bledsoejr

What happens if you follow the troubleshooting sticky tip for creating a new admin user account, launch Pro Tools from there and test it? Does the crashing follow to a new account?
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888

You should NOT be having crashing on a supported system like that at all. I hope you find the cause of your crashing.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Avid

Quote:
The pref/database tool looks very handy, I will try it out though I'd like to be careful how I handle those kinds of things.
If you've never trashed prefs or databases, the 'fix' for your system could be as simple as doing that. The tool jonlocker pointed you to will even let you backup a known 'good' set of prefs/databases so that you can revert to them later should you have problems. This will ensure that all system-wide preference settings you make are maintained.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm actually JUST about to send you a .crash report of my recent crash while saving. I don't want to take unnecessary measures before trying everything else (which I feel like I've been doing). The crashes are so unpredictable I find it hard to figure out what I actually need to do. Although I feel it is narrowing down to saves and virtual instruments. I realized that spotlight was still on for my audio drive so I made it private again(I coulda swore I've disable it on that drive)

But yes, I have trashed prefs before, but, I will do all of that again and see if that helps. I feel like I've gone through all of these steps once before, I've searched the forums up and down and tried all the little things, so maybe one more round and we'll see what happens. I will send the crash report anyway.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Avid

I got your crash report and system profile, but I still need your plug-in version list.