Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 08:59 PM

Default Recording Acoustic Guitar Direct

I'd like to get some input from any of you who might have some good suggestions for recording an acoustic guitar direct. I'm experienced on the playing side, but new to the recording end of things.

I've got a Taylor 414ce with a blender (piezo/mic) preamp. It's a great guitar, and sounds really nice in the room, yet when I play back a recorded track, I'm not getting as good of a result as I'd like. I installed a new battery, so I know that's not the problem.

Should I run the signal into a compressor/limiter first and then into the Mbox, or go direct into the MBox and use a comp plugin after the track has been recorded? Also, any tips on good reverb settings and other plugins are welcomed with open ears.

Obviously, I'd prefer to record the guitar with a great mic, but I don't have one (yet), and I've got noisy kids ('nuff said).

Maybe I'm trying to get blood from a turnip, but I'm hoping someone here knows a little magic.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Recording Acoustic Guitar Direct

You might try running it through an effects processor prior to your protools input. I used a digitech TSR12 with a chorus/reverb setting and came out of the stereo outs to the PT inputs, panned them hard left/hard right. That sounded quite nice! However, I prefer to mike my acoustic.

www.myspace.com/beechstudio
Old 07-28-2004, 09:28 PM

I've tried a little of that as well.

I've got a TC Electronic G-Major that has some really nice settings that I've tweaked here and there, but was under the impression that recording the effects was a no no. I always thought that should be left to the mixing stage. Maybe not?
Old 07-28-2004, 09:33 PM

Some of the 'old school' engineers like to 'print' to tape. If you're absoluately sure that's the sound you're looking for...record it! If you're looking for just a raw dry sound you probably need to mike it. What is it that you don't like about your sound?

Old 07-28-2004, 09:57 PM

It sounds "tinny" or "thin".

I also have a tendency to over-critique myself, so it's probably not as bad as I'm describing, but I think I can get it better. Maybe I just need to work with it a little more.

I'm also looking for some good reverb settings to get it pushed back in the mix without coloring it too much. The rule I've always prescribed to is to get my effects where I thought they should be and then cut them back about 50%.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 PM

You have a nice guitar from what you stated earlier. That's always a good starting point. I really think you're gonna' have to mike it to get the sound that you want. As far as verb, the digiverb sounds pretty good. I'd probably start with a hall setting at about 1.5 to 2 sec decay and roll off a little top end. Mix to taste!

Old 07-29-2004, 06:21 AM

I'll give it a go. I'll try to put something down this weekend and post it for a little critique.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:46 AM

Here's an article on Acoustic Guitar Recording Techniques that might get you started in the right direction.

You might also want to browse through some of the articles in the studio covers archives.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-29-2004, 10:07 AM

So basically, I looks like I'm gonna need to invest in some good mics. I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run. I can't imagine 2 years of recording so-so sounding guitars, and then getting some good mics and thinking "why didn't I do this sooner"? Oh well, it's only money.

I like the tips on leaving the EQ and Compression to the mixdown process. That makes sense to me.

Thanks for the links. Good stuff.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:59 AM

Hi.

Get a decent condenser mic. Companies like Rode, Oktava make decent mics for cheap.