Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 11:03 PM

Default I can WRITE midi notes, but midi controller won\'t.

I have an Alesis SR-16 and a MidiMan MidiSport 2x2 connected to my G4/450 running PTLE/AM3.

I downloaded the SampleTank FREE (AWESOME... BTW) in the hopes of using my SR-16 as a sampler controller for better drum sounds. (I used to just program my SR-16 and record raw audio into my sessions, so this is my FIRST time interfacing with midi.)

I can WRITE notes in the midi track and have the notes play SampleTank, but nothing happens when I hit pads on my SR-16.

I read all my manuals and I *THINK* I have OMS set up correctly, as well as the midi set up in my SR-16. That part seemed pretty basic.

I GUESS MY QUESTION IS THIS: There are "88 Keys" on the midi track, and only 12 pads on my SR-16; Do I have to set the 12 pads on my SR-16 to correlate with the "keys" that trigger SampleTank in the midi track? If so... HOW? Is this my problem?

Am I making sense? I hope so!

Thanks for your help!

HELP!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 01:24 PM

Default Re: I can WRITE midi notes, but midi controller won\'t.

Yes you are making sense.

First we need to check that your drum machine will send a midi note when you tap a pad.

I don't think it will. Open a midi track in PT and assign the input to ALL. I think this is the best way to make sure PT will listen to anything that comes in the midi port. Set that midi track to record and even with out it running, any incoming midi messsage should make the meter register on that channel.

The second thing to look for is a midi clock message. Hit play on the drum machine and I'm sure you should see something just as the drum machine starts. This will at least show that a message can come out of the Drum Machine and that PT can recieve it.

Usualy drum machines only send midi note out their midi output when in a midi dump mode.

If you do get midi metering then it probably is a drum mapping note assignment problem.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:39 PM

I do have a midi SIGNAL from my DM.

I've always used Midi Beat Clock to start recording the DM audio in sync with my session's grid. Whether that signal constitutes a "NOTE" or not, is beyond me.

When I hit the pads while testing SampleTank, I never saw any meter readings in the Midi track. I played with the input on the Midi track and saw pulses each time I changed the input from ALL to SR-16, Midiman, and so-forth.

Can I be sending a midi SIGNAL without sending a midi NOTE?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ::mitch:::

Can I be sending a midi SIGNAL without sending a midi NOTE?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think .... yes.

The DM will send midi data when in play mode ... clock and bars beats type stuff and there may be a mode to dump the songs and patterns but I don't think it will send midi data as you hit the pads.

Use a keyboard for this and hang the DM on the out as a sound module.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:29 PM

HA! Thanks! I was finding that out about an hour before your reply. I had downloaded the Battery demo and was banging on my DM pads and watching Battery's "pads" light up, but I couldn't hear anything! I was tearing my hair out!

Then I about jumped out of my skin when I hit "Play" on the DM and Battery took off at full-volume out of my monitors! HA!

So... I suppose I can compose a song on my DM, then just PLAY it thru Battery for sound. Now I have to figure out how to assign notes to the sounds I want!

Thanks for all your help!

::m::