Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2020, 08:16 PM

Default Video Speed (frame rate?) syncing issues

If I import video to Pro Tools, after a couple minutes it ends up not lined up anymore. Same i

f I bounce a WAV out of Pro Tools, then put in Media Composer with the video file, it also loses alignment after a couple minutes. I have tried (I think) every option with frame rates in both Pro Tools and Media Composer. I tried to post on the Avid Video Community also but the website doesn't work right and won't let me activate my Avid Master Account link any new account with the video website, so I am posting here.

Please help!! Its driving me crazy and preventing me from being able to share drum videos

Thank you!!!
Old 03-24-2020, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Video Speed (frame rate?) syncing issues

If you recorded your audio separately from the video camera no matter what the frame rate you will most likely have drift. Pro tools without video sync will always drift as the camera and pro tools are operating on different clocks. You either have to edit your audio every few minutes where the drift begins to get noticeable or get your self something like this for future recordings. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...code_sync.html
this box converts video sync to word clock. You will need an audio interface with word clock input. Set the sync box to the same frame rate and sample rate as your camera and have your interface set to external clock with the ultra sync attached word clock output to the word clock input of your interface and the sync box has to be set to generate word clock output 48k. Even if you do not connect the camera to the sync box it should vastly improve the drift issue. Best case is to lock camera and pro tools to the sync box and you will have no sync issues at all but I do this all the time just using the sync box and don’t have any real drift issues with one hour recordings. Another thing you can do if you only need 8 inputs is get a Zoom F8. The clock is much more video friendly and does not drift from most cameras and you can record into pro tools with it and to its internal cards at the same time for backup, no sync box needed. Always record audio on the camera and pro tools at the same sample rate usually 48K
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 03-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Video Speed (frame rate?) syncing issues

I cannot thank you enough for this information! I have been banging my head against the wall for a couple weeks trying to get this working right and have searched online for everything that I knew what to search for LOL

So now with this new info I checked out the time code generator you referenced for me, and apparently my MOTU 896mk3 firewire (w/ MOTU 8pre connected through dual ADAT for 8x more preamps) has a SMPTE time code generator also. I am now learning how to use it - which maay require talking to MOTU tech to make sure it is set up right - and then I will post a follow up conclusion with the detailed solution for this application in case anybody else is searching for this issue they will find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
If you recorded your audio separately from the video camera no matter what the frame rate you will most likely have drift. Pro tools without video sync will always drift as the camera and pro tools are operating on different clocks. You either have to edit your audio every few minutes where the drift begins to get noticeable or get your self something like this for future recordings. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...code_sync.html
this box converts video sync to word clock. You will need an audio interface with word clock input. Set the sync box to the same frame rate and sample rate as your camera and have your interface set to external clock with the ultra sync attached word clock output to the word clock input of your interface and the sync box has to be set to generate word clock output 48k. Even if you do not connect the camera to the sync box it should vastly improve the drift issue. Best case is to lock camera and pro tools to the sync box and you will have no sync issues at all but I do this all the time just using the sync box and don’t have any real drift issues with one hour recordings. Another thing you can do if you only need 8 inputs is get a Zoom F8. The clock is much more video friendly and does not drift from most cameras and you can record into pro tools with it and to its internal cards at the same time for backup, no sync box needed. Always record audio on the camera and pro tools at the same sample rate usually 48K