Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Are there Pro Tools 10 compatible MIDI controllers?

I just wanted to add a little something that I find funny before I get wasted for the rest of the night

You know how the Icon still can't fully control the channel strip? Well Hypercontrol can, and automatically allocate all the functions to each knobs, even the order selection for the DYn-EQ-Filter-Vol, and of course their on off. So while the axiom might have a small screen that's really only useful to know on which page of the plugin you're on (and that's only if you're not paying attention to the small blue rectangles that indicates which options you're controlling), it's actually able to do something that a 50k piece of equipment can't.....

Haven't met a wave, air, blue cats, mcdsp and well most of the other plugins that doesn't work straight out of the box. VI's you sometimes have to use the learn function to set them correctly.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 sp1. intel i5 2500k 3.30 ghz. asus p8p67 evo rev 3. 16g kingston ddr3 1600. Asus engtx 560dc2 oc. Seagate Barracuda 7200 9 SATA 80-GB Hard Drive. 2x WD caviar black 7200 500 GB. 1x WD caviar black 7200 1 TB. Seagate Freeagent 7200 1 TB usb 2.0. SIIG NN-440012-S8.

PT 10. SIB 7. ProjectMix I/O. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Focusrite Saffire pro 40. Genelec 8040. Axiom pro 61. Alesis Dm8 pro. Spector ns2000/5. Old vintage Vantage electric guitar. Bunch of VI's and plugins
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightworker View Post
You know how the Icon still can't fully control the channel strip? Well Hypercontrol can, and automatically allocate all the functions to each knobs, even the order selection for the DYn-EQ-Filter-Vol, and of course their on off. So while the axiom might have a small screen that's really only useful to know on which page of the plugin you're on (and that's only if you're not paying attention to the small blue rectangles that indicates which options you're controlling), it's actually able to do something that a 50k piece of equipment can't.....
Pro Tools Plug-In Maps contain the key to how Axiom Pro Group E corresponds. Axiom Pro navigation (paging) layout corresponds in accordance with mapping plug-ins. Meaning, how a user navigates through plug-in controls depends on how a user maps the plug-in.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Arrow Re: Are there Pro Tools 10 compatible MIDI controllers?

Those are nifty tricks indeed, Too bad the Axiom doesn't come in a keyless mini controller- Cause actually I think you can have the Axiom as a HUI controller and the Nocturn will still pick up all the plug ins (even when not assigned as a peripherals controller) Atleast on Mac

So if you're ALL ABOUT PRO TOOLS then using both might make a good setup. Otherwise Novation AutoMap is the universal option of choice

And there's always the Guitar Center 30 day return policy on the Axiom, which I took advantage of..

Because at the end of the day if you chose the Axiom, then you have to/are forced to play on those God-Aweful M-Audio synth keys
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Grasping at straws Diccer.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Nope, are you? cause the (general population)posters here already said they'd prefer the Novation..
But I understand O' keeper of the flame..
Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
cause the general population members already said they'd prefer the Novation..
Really that's funny cause a simple google seach for novation Impulse+craiglist.. or Novation Impulse+ebay shows that a lot of people are selling their novation products. So saying that the general population said that they prefer the novation is a bit exagerating there. I understand that you personally do not like the axiom, but that doesn't make it a truth for every one out there.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 sp1. intel i5 2500k 3.30 ghz. asus p8p67 evo rev 3. 16g kingston ddr3 1600. Asus engtx 560dc2 oc. Seagate Barracuda 7200 9 SATA 80-GB Hard Drive. 2x WD caviar black 7200 500 GB. 1x WD caviar black 7200 1 TB. Seagate Freeagent 7200 1 TB usb 2.0. SIIG NN-440012-S8.

PT 10. SIB 7. ProjectMix I/O. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Focusrite Saffire pro 40. Genelec 8040. Axiom pro 61. Alesis Dm8 pro. Spector ns2000/5. Old vintage Vantage electric guitar. Bunch of VI's and plugins
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightworker View Post
Really that's funny cause a simple google seach for novation Impulse+craiglist.. or Novation Impulse+ebay shows that a lot of people are selling their novation products. So saying that the general population said that they prefer the novation is a bit exagerating there. I understand that you personally do not like the axiom, but that doesn't make it a truth for every one out there.
I just did a search of LA craigslist. There were 4 pro axioms. 0 impulses.

But you know I guess its not fair, cause M-Audio is such an easy target..
They're told to make products with one hand tied behind their back
Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I just did a search of LA craigslist. There were 4 pro axioms. 0 impulses.

But you know I guess its not fair, cause M-Audio is such an easy target..
They're told to make products with one hand tied behind their back
Oh so I see, because you make a search of a city in the entire world, that means every one around the world prefers the novation.

Interestingly made a search for novation in Vancouver BC, found 14 results of people selling their keyboards for only 4 for the axiom. But I guess that's just not real, is it?

It's easier to say that you exaggerated than trying to find excuse

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Nightworker are you really using the project mix i/o as your interface?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Nightworker are you really using the project mix i/o as your interface?
I'm using it in conjunction with the Axiom. When I'm not at the desk it's the axiom that controls the daw, if I'm at the desk it's the PMIO. What I actually like since I upgraded to PT 10 is that the PMIO and the Axiom now share the same tracks, so when you bank with one, either by track or by 8 track, it banks for both at the same time, not one controlling 8 tracks and the other a different 8. Which wasn't the case in pt 7.4 where you could not control the same tracks with both controllers. Let me try to clarify this. If you select track 10 on the axiom, it's also the track 10 that is selected by the PMIO, so if you change something on the PMIO it's being changed on the axiom exactly at the same time. If you move on either control the selection by the banks, it now follows. Before you had the PMIO that controlled 8 tracks, and the Axiom an other 8. If you banked with either, the other would be pushed by the same number of track you banked, but you couldn't control the tracks that was taken by the other controller.

I wanted something that I could easily bring on the road for live recording, that wasn't expensive and that was well integrated to PT. The pre's are sh*ty so I usually end up using outboard pre's. But for the price, you'll be hard press to find something that is as well integrated for PT. You can instantiate plugins, aux sends, control the aux panning, send volume and mute, and a lot more. Except for the channel strip (which humorously the axiom pro can) the PMIO can't control that plugin. There's still other things that I'm discovering about this controller so at the moment, beside the low quality pre's, I'm pretty happy of it, I truly bought it more as a controller than for the pre's.