Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-18-2002, 01:17 PM

Default # of Gold plugs/session

Hi all,
I'm looking at buying some plug-ins. The general concensus is that Waves Gold is the way to go for quality and price.
Before I go and spend this money I would like to know, realistically, how many real time plugs I'll be able to use at once. Also do these plugs allow you to write an effect to the track so I can use my hard disk space instead of my processor and RAM?
I haven't ever reached a point with the audio suite real time plugs where my system can't handle it. But those effects are also not that great.
Here's my system- G4-400, 265, 50gb. PTLE, digi 001.
Thanks in advance!!!
-J
Old 03-18-2002, 08:06 PM

Default Re: # of Gold plugs/session

Get them. Youll learn how to mange the powere issue as you go.
Yes, you can apply the fx to the files. you need to get the setting you like in the real time plug-in then "copy" the settings., and then choose the identical audiosuite version and paste the setting into that plug..and process.

Make sure you turn the real time version off before you listen agian! ( I usually bypass the RTAS for an audition of the audiosuite file, this way you can go back and forth quickly. And when you are sure you got the sound right, then loose it.)
Old 03-18-2002, 08:31 PM

As far as I know it is directly relative to cpu speed and memory. I have a G4 400 with 320 megs and have successfully run 10 plugins with four of those in stereo mode, but got a warning that I was approaching the limit (65%) of cpu allocation.
BTY the waves stuff is really good stuff in the hands of a pro. Highly recommend!~ good luck.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:38 PM

Waves Gold bundle is a pretty comprehensive set of tools, no fancy retro GUI, but tools that do a great job. They'll take you pretty far.

Hey rdatman - what version of PT are you using? You should have your CPU usage set to 85% for maximum DSP.

Tony
Old 03-19-2002, 08:16 PM

Waves Gold Bundle does really rock. Maybe download some demos of "Native Power Pack" and "Pro FX Plus" etc. to see if you want the whole Gold or just maybe get a couple of the aforementioned smaller bundles to see what your computer handles best. Maybe look into the Korg Oasys PCI too. I use as a synth when tracking and as an FX processor when mixing. You could hook it up via the ADAT ports between the 001 and Oasys (like I do) and have 8 (4 stereo) channels of very high quality reverbs and delay and such aux'ed onto PTLE from the Oasys. I was just using it for such a process and the reverbs, and all the fx on the Oasys are just really amazing quality. The DSP on the Oasys also doesn't touch the G4's cpu either. It's not alot of DSP yet it's enough to run a high quality reverb (ADAT 1-2), delay (3-4), compressor (5-6) and anything else on the last buss ADAT 7-8. If you can get one at Guitar Center or online somewhere along with some of the Waves stuff you'd be really set.

Good Luck, Chris
Old 03-19-2002, 08:42 PM

If you decide you want the Native Power Pack, check out www.bayviewproaudio.com I just bought it from them for 289.00 including shipping. The best price I have come across so far.
Ron