Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM

Default Reamping with Kemper Profiler

Folks, I really am stumped here. And I am going mad! I am using all settings that have worked before: I/O settings in Pro Tools, same session with same track properties, etc., same routing settings in my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, same Kemper settings/connections. When I tried just using the previously successful session in order to have another reamping session, it wouldn't work (I'll explain below). So, using the same session, I tried reloading my previously successful I/O settings file into that session. When that didn't work, I tried a whole new session starting from scratch (I have videos showing all settings/connections which I hoped would end this nonsense). Replicating everything from my videos (it also shows those settings reamping successfully) did not work. I have also tried other previously successful sessions which are set up to reamp. I've also tried different things like different rigs, restarting everything, reconnecting everything, unplugging all but the necessary connections, reinstalling the Focusrite drivers/software, and Pro Tools 11.3--you know, when you go to the freezer to look for your car keys, that sort of desperation, but I get the same results:

On the Kemper, as the clip-to-be-reamped plays through it, both input and output lights are flashing yellowish, as I've seen before. So that part of the chain seems good... And when I listen to my Kemper through a Main Out into a monitor, I hear the clip being reamped. But it's not hitting the Reamping Track at all! If I switch the output on my Pro Tools track to my monitors, I can hear my dry, un-reamped clip, but as soon as I switch the Output back over to the Reamp bus, it's gone. I've also posted this at Kemper to see if I get any ideas there as to what I might be doing wrong...

As anyone gracious enough to look will see, I think my connections and settings are correct? I haven't shown the S/PDIF connection, but it's reamping, through my monitor, so that should be fine. I do have the tracks armed to record, and I can record on these tracks if I switch my inputs to my Scarlett inputs as usual.
I will post the Scarlett 8i6 settings momentarily, as there is a 5-photo limit here.

What gives? Anything look wrong? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1617 - Copy.jpg (38.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1618 - Copy.jpg (35.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO Setup--Bus Settings - Copy.jpg (77.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO Setup--Output Settings - Copy.jpg (71.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO Setup--Input Settings - Copy.jpg (63.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Reamping with Kemper Profiler

I have a Kemper and use it a lot but never through the spdif out so pardon me if I'm completely off base here but your second photo shows 0db at the spdif out. Could that be the problem?
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingtiger View Post
I have a Kemper and use it a lot but never through the spdif out so pardon me if I'm completely off base here but your second photo shows 0db at the spdif out. Could that be the problem?
sleepingtiger, thanks for responding! 0db is the max output for the S/PDIF Out signal, like 0db gain on a mix fader. I had it all the way up to make sure I didn't miss anything if the reamping started working.

And it did! I figured it out! It was a routing issue:

Input Settings: I had the Profiler L/R Input routed on Analog 1 and Analog 2, instead of S/PDIF 1 and S/PDIF 2, as can be seen in the screenshots.

Nothing was wrong with the Output or Bus settings, although the Busses do need to be weeded out a bit.

So, it would've been that the track recording the reamped signal was looking to the Profiler Input, which was never actually receiving a signal from the Kemper's S/PDIF. I knew something was up when this morning, I hit the PreFadeListen button in the Focusrite software, and I could hear the reamp, just like yesterday I could hear the reamp when I ran straight from the Kemper into some monitors.

Thanks again sleepingtiger-Kemper-brother!

If anyone runs into reamping issues, especially if you've got a Focusrite/PT/Kemper setup, I believe I can help. PM me. It's rather confusing to someone as inexperienced as I!

Last edited by trainwrecktwostep; 10-16-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Here are the correct Input Settings in a screenshot, if it is of interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corrected Input Settings.jpg (39.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Glad you got it sorted!
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 10-14-2017, 11:45 AM

Hello there.
I've been trying for hours to figure out how to reamp some recorded raw guitars and thankfully I found your post from last year. I also own a kpa, pt11 and focusrite6i6 and I've tried any combination possible and I don't seem to be able to achieve something.
As I mentioned, I have some DI'd guitars imported and I want to process them using the kpa via spdif! Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM

Have you got all the setting config right on the KPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-14-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Kay View Post
Hello there.
I've been trying for hours to figure out how to reamp some recorded raw guitars and thankfully I found your post from last year. I also own a kpa, pt11 and focusrite6i6 and I've tried any combination possible and I don't seem to be able to achieve something.
As I mentioned, I have some DI'd guitars imported and I want to process them using the kpa via spdif! Any ideas?
Any Ideas? Sure.

My idea is you should read and follow the Kempler manual. If still having problems describe exactly what you are doing. What exactly is connected to what with exactly what cables. "tried everything" is of no use. Describe what does work (can you play back and hear the dry signal? Can you record anything on the Wet track when you connect up a physical guitar to the Kempler?) and and what does not work as expected. Include screen shots of the mixer window dry and wet tracks in Pro Tools, make sure the screen shots show the track IO selectors.

Are you trying to reamp analog or S/PDIF? If digital the Kempler only works at 44.1kHz.. which traps lots of folks (EDIT: oops I had mistakingly previously written 48kHz, thanks to Raoul below for correcting). What clock rate are you outputting? Same goes for S/PDIF can you record via the S/PDIF input to a wet track when playing guitar into the Kempler? Peel the onion and debug one thing at a time.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-14-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:34 PM

The kemper has to be set to master clock and it only reamps at 44.2!!! There is a page for re amping in the kemper if you press the settings button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-14-2017, 06:21 PM

44.1 kHz