Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-03-2000, 04:30 PM

Default Re: 001 Mixer Routing Question.

Rather just use a patch bay which is designed for this. Or not

------------------
-AT
Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth.~ Ludwig Van Beethoven
Old 12-04-2000, 12:28 AM

Default 001 Mixer Routing Question.

Can I run two channels from my mixing board into one 001 input using a y-cable without signal loss/canceling on either? Of course I would only be recording one signal at a time. I just want to see if I can eliminate some plugging and unplugging of connections.

------------------
bassmac
Old 12-04-2000, 12:47 AM

Sure, it can be done. Beware of groundloops, phase etc.
Possibly, the strength of the signal will be divided in half...

------------------
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
Old 12-04-2000, 11:44 AM

I think you might have to put a resistor into the path of each signal that you are mixing together - otherwise the input impedance as seen by the outputs of your desk will be too low (if you see what I mean).....

i.e. if one output is at 0V it will drag down the other output.

Pick a value - 10K ohms should do it....
Old 12-04-2000, 11:18 PM

No! It is wrong to "Y in" from two outputs. Kenny B is correct in realizing that there is an impedance issue. I just wanted to better explain what is going on.
Outputs of modern audio equipment are designed with low output impedances. Additionally, modern input stages are designed with very high input impedances. This combination allows outputs to drive long lines and multiple inputs without significant loss of signal. This is the proper use of a Y cable. Feel free to Y the output of your mic pre to both your recorder and your headphone amp!
Using a Y cable to combine output signals into a single input, however, causes problems. Consider it From the perspective of one of the two outputs. From there, I can see the high impedance of the input stage I'm trying to drive. However, I can also simultaneously see the other low impedance output in parallel with that nice high impedance input. The impedance of this parallel combination would be slightly less than the lower impedance. This is way too low for proper operation of this circuit. The result would be a loss in signal, decreased signal to noise, and possibly even destruction of the output stage of your equipment.
The most common place I see this misuse of a Y cable in when people try to "mono" the two outputs of a stereo piece of equipment (usually trying to get a mono send from a stereo console). There are passive resistor networks for combining signals (as KennyB alluded to) but they are more than just resistors in-line, and there is a cost in signal loss. I would point you in that direction, but this is really not what you want for the application you mentioned. For what you want (minimizing patching behind your gear all the time) I really have to agree with AnalogTree's recommendation that you look into a patchbay. Let me suggest that you take the time to learn how to layout a patchbay system properly. With a good "normal" scheme you will minimize patching, and a comprehensive patchbay will inspire you to experiment with signal routings you never would have tried because of the hassle. It's nothing for me to route a vocal I've recorded through my guitar pedalboard's wah on a creative rant.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-05-2000, 10:05 PM

It does help! Thank’s for all the information and suggestions. I figured it may not be that simple. Eventually I’ll get a patchbay, but in the meantime at least my mixers inputs are on the top rather than the back and I can make my changes there. Thanks again everyone.

------------------
bassmac