Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-05-2018, 02:04 AM

Default DNxHR No Longer Compatible .. ?

Hey everyone,

Transcoding some video today with Compressor, I had a notification tell me DNxHR is now a legacy format which will no longer work with future releases of macOS .. ?

Does anyone know anything about this?

https://imgur.com/QjQnYmo
Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 AM

Default Re: DNxHR No Longer Compatible .. ?

It is seemingly true as Apple continues its move to all 64-bit applications.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...e-for-this-now

However, this doesn’t mean it won’t play back the DNXHD format as long as you have the codecs. It just means Apple’s native apps like compressor and final cut will not support the codec moving forward.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
It is seemingly true as Apple continues its move to all 64-bit applications.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...e-for-this-now

However, this doesn’t mean it won’t play back the DNXHD format as long as you have the codecs. It just means Apple’s native apps like compressor and final cut will not support the codec moving forward.
No. Not only will FCP X etc not support it, but future support will have to be built-in to the app directly. Most (like Pro Tools, Davinci Resolve and Videoslave) already have done this.

The original 32-bit QuickTime application where you could add CODECs is going.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:36 PM

May be they want to push the noob ProRes codec? ;O
ProRes is a bad ineffective codec!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeHD View Post
May be they want to push the noob ProRes codec? ;O
ProRes is a bad ineffective codec!
Based on what!? Bizarre comment.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:00 AM

From my own experimence and comparison.
ProRes HD codecs are very bad, all profiles until Prores HQ are not recommered.
ProRes use high bitrates and a less CPU load, but the codec is very ineffective!
Example, If you use ProResHQ like for 1080P60 in 4:2:2@10bit, the bitrate is ca 440MBit/s and you have on some details compressions artefacts!^^ A good h264 encoding with the same colour resolution, looks better with a 1/3 from the Bitrate.
Sony XAVC Intra Codecs in h264 are extreme good end effective to the bitrate and it looks much better with similar or lower bitrates as Pro Res, but you have a high CPU load for encoding and decoding.

DNXHD or DNXHR are better too in the most cases and more effectiver to the bitrate like Prores and is a good Offline Codec for mastering or intermediate rendering etc..
Old 12-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeHD View Post
From my own experimence and comparison.
ProRes HD codecs are very bad, all profiles until Prores HQ are not recommered.
ProRes use high bitrates and a less CPU load, but the codec is very ineffective!
Example, If you use ProResHQ like for 1080P60 in 4:2:2@10bit, the bitrate is ca 440MBit/s and you have on some details compressions artefacts!^^ A good h264 encoding with the same colour resolution, looks better with a 1/3 from the Bitrate.
Sony XAVC Intra Codecs in h264 are extreme good end effective to the bitrate and it looks much better with similar or lower bitrates as Pro Res, but you have a high CPU load for encoding and decoding.

DNXHD or DNXHR are better too in the most cases and more effectiver to the bitrate like Prores and is a good Offline Codec for mastering or intermediate rendering etc..
Well I'd be interested to see examples, but I think you're the only person I've ever seen complain about ProRes!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:52 PM

We don't use ProRes since some years anymore for highquality rendering, intermediate rendering or videomastering or archiving. Sometimes only if we need fast a reasonably video for presentation or beta master etc.
If you need a fast encoding time for some applications, it is ok or for some semi professionell productions with lower hardware equipment.
We made some test and the quality is not good in relationship to the size from the files and for professional works.

Here is a older comparsion with a difficult content, captured from a uncompressed source via HDMI and 1080P60@440Mbit/s Pro ResHQ and 1. Generation

https://s15.directupload.net/images/181219/k8zpltd8.jpg

You can see many blocking artefacts, if you zoom some levels in, banding and compression artefacts on the sky, in the trees, in the front of the street and so on. This looks like typical MotionJPEG singleframe compression codec and this on these high bitrate and only 1. Generation, this is not optimal for a master or for further re-compression or archiving.

Here are the next older example with a difficult content:

https://s15.directupload.net/images/181219/odd4uakj.jpg

Btw,the artefacts are not from the JPEG picture compression, its only with a 2:1 compression from the original bmp snapshot for upload here!

Little anecdote:

Disney was approx for 8-10 years ProRes "Fan" and made rescans and archiving their repository in Prores! Laters they notice this was not good enough and to bad for further mastering like HDR etc and they made fully new rescans again with lossless ACES singleframe@16bit archiving.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:44 AM

So I've read that Avid will not be affected since they have written their own codecs for use within the app, but Protools, as I understand it, still uses Quicktime when bouncing to video. Does anyone know how this will be affected?

www.TakomaMedia.com