How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Default No 12.8.3??? [SOLVED]

Not happy with Avid rn....

I purchased the original student bundle that included every new Pro Tools version released w/I 4 years...and all subsequent updates for that VERSION of Pro Tools. At least, that's what was advertised at the time. So if you get 11, you get all updates to 11... 12, etc.

So the last version that I got was 12 under that bundle, and apparently they converted my license to a "perpetual license w/ upgrade plan" on the account side of things... when that's not what I paid for initially.

So now that my supposed "upgrade plan" is expired, I can't get 12.8.3, which adds support for High Sierra, which the fact that a company like Avid takes half a YEAR to update for is absolutely absurd to begin with, but anyway...

Anyway, they've "created a case" since they don't have anyone to talk to on the weekends....

So will this get resolved once they actually get a chance to review it / I can talk to someone?? Or are .X.X releases treated as actual upgrades when every other software company treats them as bug fixes / patches / updates...
Old 12-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Default Re: No 12.8.3???

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ensed-released

Quote:
Pro Tools Licensing: How has Avid changed the way updates and upgrades are licensed/released
Last Updated : July 21, 2017
Prior to this change, Avid released feature upgrades for a fee and updates to fix technical issues between major releases at no cost. Our new model provides all software releases for 1 year, so you won't miss out on new features released shortly after your purchase.

Also, starting with the release of Pro Tools 12.6, licenses have a Release Limit date (check the Details for Pro Tools licenses in iLok License Manager). This limits the versions the license will authorize based on their release dates and prevents having to deposit new licenses (with surrender of old licenses) for new software releases.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Re: No 12.8.3???

I appreciate the response; however, previous purchases still fall under their original upgrade / update terms and conditions.

I did get this resolved today, as it was due to an error in the way they updated my account last year.