Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2002, 08:11 AM

Default no input signal

Morning all...

Last night I installed pt for the 1st time. everything is running like it should.. I played with the demos and learned how to navigate on the software.. But when I plugged my mic into the innerface to test the recoding side of things, I got no signal. I checked the track input settings, I played with the gains, my phantom power was on, but when spoke into my mic the meter shows no movement.. Is this a sound card conflict or something else simple I'm over looking?
Old 02-13-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Re: no input signal

Don't mean to sound insulting...but was the track record enabled? You didn't mention it, although I assume it was. Also, make sure the track's input is set to Analog 1 or 2 (whichever input you may be using).

If you still haven't figured out the problem, please walk-through, step-by-step, what you did. It could be a number of things. Good luck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2002, 09:01 AM

Not insulting at all... I tried to get a level or a signal with both record enable on and off.. I'm not sure if I should see the level unless I am recording or not.. I have the track input set to mic 1 or 2.. niether would give me a signal.. I'm just trying to recieve a signal through simple "mic checking." I should be able to get a level by just talking into my mic right? I know this has to be a simple something I'm overlooking or not doing.. I hope...
Old 02-13-2002, 09:25 AM

What kind of mic are you using? I have some old electret condensor mics (Altec 626A) that require batteries. When the batteries die, the mics won't work...phantom power makes no difference with those.

Could be just a bad mic cord.

To check your methodology, why don't you plug in a guitar or keyboard output into the Digi and see if its receiving that signal?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Prophetico:
I'm not sure if I should see the level unless I am recording or not.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You SHOULD see levels before recording if rec is enabled, but if you press play you'll hear nothing because you'd have to hit record first. I sometimes want to play along first before recording, and need to use an aux input because of this.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:39 AM

B.Ray... I'm using a rode nt2 condensor.. no batteries required but phantom is.. I think that is what i'm going to do now acually, test input signals other than my mics. I'll try my keyboard next to see if it recieves that. I just like to take it one step at a time and try to resolve problems as they arrive..thanks...
Old 02-13-2002, 09:49 AM

Hi geminirand-
Under "Operations" menu, change to "Input Only Monitoring" and you"ll be able to monitor your record enabled tracks in play mode.
The info on "Auto Input" verses "Input Only" modes can be found on page 75 & 76 of the 001 manual.
cheers
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by geminirand:

You SHOULD see levels before recording if rec is enabled, but if you press play you'll hear nothing because you'd have to hit record first. I sometimes want to play along first before recording, and need to use an aux input because of this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-13-2002, 10:57 AM

The Monitoring Mode Button hasn't been metioned yet, just curious if this has been checked to see if it is not enabled.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:08 AM

My monitoring button is out (not pressed).. Let me clarify.. I'm not trying to actually hear my voice a loud as I test the mic, I'm still trying to get the level meter to move or show some sign of life when talk into the mic line.. Thats why I was wondering if it was a configuration issue or settings problem.. I keep reviewing the manual and I don't appear to be doing anything different from what they request..I'll keep troubleshooting....
Old 02-13-2002, 11:24 AM

Just to take it step by step...
You've connected your nt2 to 001 Pre/Input #1.
Pushed the red 48v button in.
Checked that Monitor Mode button is out.
Created a mono audio track in PT.
Assigned the input of that track to Input 1.
Record Enabled track.
Cranked the volume knob on mic pre 1 and you get no meter reading?