Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Re: „AAE -9173 error“ - the biggest pro tools workflow killer over the last years

I do use rather intense plug-ins on the mix buss, but they are always DSP, never native.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-03-2018, 12:45 PM

Default Re: „AAE -9173 error“ - the biggest pro tools workflow killer over the last years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
just tried this, for some reason my system likes hyperthreading. No errors here whatsoever (just some at 32 buffer size with processing on)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
sure, it depends on plug ins. people who do not use much of those "new" 3rd party plug ins have not so much 9173 trouble.

but, that does not mean that all those new plug ins are bad programmed or incompatible. I know many Plug Ins from Waves, Slate, iZotope, Plug in Alliance, ... which make theses problems on the mix bus. Its a new generation of plug ins which needs more power from the audio engine. but all these plug ins should also be handled on busses by the AAE. Thats the reason why I say that Avid has to bring there AAE up to date.

It makes no sense to avoid all "new" plug ins. we want to use all those new tools. And it should be possible to use them.
All those plug ins make absolute no problems on an audio track.
The problem is that those big plug ins chain with modern plug ins need more resources from the audio engine. may be a extra big playback buffer will help.

f.e. when you have a Session with around 40-50% CPU and you put some plug ins like Kramer Master Tape, Abbey Road Vinyl, Greg Well Mix Centric
Scheps Parallel Particles, ... on the mix bus you get soon those 9173 errors. also when the CPU meter is still around 50% or less !
But (!) when you move all those plug ins to some tracks in the session everything works perfect. the CPU has the same "to do" but on the mix bus there is a kind of a bottleneck and only there the engine has not enough "time" for the realtime processing.

There are so many plug ins that are nearly unusable on the mix bus. but those plug ins work solid and good on audio tracks.

The AAE must be updated.

I had support from waves and Avid. And I am sure that only Avid can change game.
Thanks too Antares support they help me figure out why I was getting those random errors and now its rock solid. I would also like to add I am not having any problem at all with any of my plugins on the buss native or UAD and hyper-thready is always on and my computer is always connected to the Web. Go Figure! What is even more weird is we have the same computer but I have a six core and you an 8 core and I have 32GB ram and you have 64GB. We both also have Apollo's.

Last edited by zion; 05-03-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I do use rather intense plug-ins on the mix buss, but they are always DSP, never native.
thats a cool decission ! :)
and the best for the mix buss.
i have done this also in the past. but most of the new plug ins are no more available as DSP :-/
so now i am a sad native man .... :)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Thanks too Antares support they help me figure out why I was getting those random errors and now its rock solid. I would also like to add I am not having any problem at all with any of my plugins on the buss native or UAD and hyper-thready is always on and my computer is always connected to the Web. Go Figure! What is even more weird is we have the same computer but I have a six core and you an 8 core and I have 32GB ram and you have 64GB. We both also have Apollo's.
Hey Zion,

interesting

do you have most of waves plug ins?
so I can upload a little test session (without audiofiles). and i am sure you have the same problems with it :)
in the session are the following waves plug ins:
Sheps 73
Kramer Pie
H-EQ
NLS
H-Delay
H-Reverb
Kramer Tape
Abbey Road Vinyl
DPR-402
CODEX
sheps parallel particles
Greg Wels Mix Centric
Maserati GRP
ProLimiter (Avid)

what plug ins do you use most on the mix buss?

so I can check if those work on my system.

thanx
Old 05-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Hey Zion,

interesting

do you have most of waves plug ins?
so I can upload a little test session (without audiofiles). and i am sure you have the same problems with it :)
in the session are the following waves plug ins:
Sheps 73
Kramer Pie
H-EQ
NLS
H-Delay
H-Reverb
Kramer Tape
Abbey Road Vinyl
DPR-402
CODEX
sheps parallel particles
Greg Wels Mix Centric
Maserati GRP
ProLimiter (Avid)

what plug ins do you use most on the mix buss?

so I can check if those work on my system.

thanx
I only have two plugins on that list. The only waves plugin I still use is the linear EQ. I Mostly use UAD and Softube.

Last edited by zion; 05-04-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Just for the fun of it, try replacing your Master channel with an Aux with the same routing and plugins.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 05-04-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Just for the fun of it, try replacing your Master channel with an Aux with the same routing and plugins.
I always do exact this.
my "mix bus" is an AUX track where all tracks are routed to.
On the Masterfader I never use plug ins.

But it makes no difference. Its an issue.

thanx anyway :)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:42 AM

I never thought about this before but my question is If you are using an auxiliary track as a master bus can you still put a dither plug-in on it to dither down to 16 bit. Is the only difference that the inserts are before the fader where is on a master track the inserts are after the fader or is there something else going on in the 64bit summing mixer?

Last edited by zion; 05-05-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:35 AM

agreed this is a PT issue, I'm on a PC and as of 3 weeks ago, I can no longer really trust to work with PT 2018.4 but I have not much of a choice.

Iv called PT but they haven't given me any valid answers! I gave them 3 different logs with 9173 errors.

What I don't get if the plugin Developers program these things, how do they not see the same error? don't they test! especially that this is now a subscription model!

I have always been alright with pro tools, I knew I never had the best computer to run what I needed, However now I think most of us have more than capable machines! and I'm getting the 9173 error with only 1 channel of Kontakt 5 (Rhodes default patch) and Ez drummer! this is unacceptable. all PT, Izotope,NI...tunnings have been done!

its no longer about trying to be a tech or explaining that I work for... fix mixes for ..... I'm a somebody! I own PT, anyways! I remember reading this kind of stuff back in 99. on my 3rd Rig and I'm wondering! if I should just build my on DAW lol! by the time in 10 years time maybe I'll have a more stable working DAW. PT is not doing something right! Iv asked pro tools to speak with other plugin developers and somehow stick to some sort of ISO... I can feel PT about to start the blame game.... don't use this don't use that!

My last ditch effort before rolling back and bunkering in about 15 days from now is writing to all the plugin companies I own, and letting them know that forums are starting to look like there are issues with PT or their plugins and that will mean no easter purchase, no summer sale purchase no back 2 school / Holiday purchase.