Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-06-2024, 08:51 AM

Default How would you mic this?

Ok live sound/recording folks. I’m looking for some sound advice (see what I did there?)

Here’s the scenario..

Large HS Gymnasium that has bleachers on one side which will be filled with audience members.

Full Band with PA. Drums, Keys, Horns, Percussion, etc.

100 member gospel choir on 3 tier risers across the length of the length of the basketball court.

How would you mic this choir not only for live sound but also for recording?
I’ve had the fight with the live sound engineer the past two years on the chosen mics as well as the technique. I’m curious to know what others would do in this scenario. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:29 PM

Default Re: How would you mic this?

Hmmm, anything done in a gym is going to be a compromise. Personally, I would let the sound guy mic the choir for his needs, and I would put up separate mics for recording the choir(probably x-y pairs every 6 feet or so, OR position the choir in a semi-circle and use a Decca tree). Of course, no advice matters without knowing what you have for available inputs and microphones, and if the recording is boing done directly off the house console(which is what?). Its not possible to give too MUCH information

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-06-2024, 01:22 PM

^^^Yes!

Are you live-tracking for a mix later in post? Get a feed from the PA guy and record to a separate track. (Better still, use a splitter and record all PA inputs to separate tracks.) Next, use additional high-quality mics for the choir, on separate tracks, as many as possible.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-06-2024, 03:13 PM

Spaced line of mics in front of the choir (probably 4 for that size.) Cardioid.
I'd also put down 2 boundary layer mics spaced, in front, floor, to get the low end or in case the gym reverberance is too much. (low pass if using only for low end and mix with main mics)

I'm guessing you aren't going to be able to fly mics beforehand so all the front mics can be below head height so it doesn't interfere with sightlines.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:25 AM

Thanks guys . Appreciate the feedback.

Last year we did 16 mics across the choir but I just think he placed them too far away from the group, which led to too much bleed and not enough choir. I'll try and get him to place them closer this year.

I get a full split of everything via Dante for a completely separate mix to livestream as well as record.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:34 AM

If you have iZotope RX, you can use Music Rebalance for post production to adjust Vocal, Bass, Percussion, Other to set up exactly their Gain.
I have recorded choir once, but I got this idea a year later and that is a very grateful tip!
I mean, if you have choir and in addition drum(s), keyboards, etc then in post is very good precision to set up their Music Rebalance.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspire View Post
If you have iZotope RX, you can use Music Rebalance for post production to adjust Vocal, Bass, Percussion, Other to set up exactly their Gain.
I have recorded choir once, but I got this idea a year later and that is a very grateful tip!
I mean, if you have choir and in addition drum(s), keyboards, etc then in post is very good precision to set up their Music Rebalance.
Thanks. Good suggestion but I'll have complete control over all elements. It's just the bleed and wash of ambeince from the gym leaking into the choir mics. I might try using LALAL.AI to remove some of it or maybe some of the new towy like Clarity VX or Revive will help for the post side. It's the live streaming mix that's challenging.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:11 AM

OK, in my case, there was one ORTF microphone with which the CAIJON, Bass guitar and the synthesizer came too strongly compared to the choir who must have a focus. I realised this opportunity only a year later, although I had RX10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Music_Rebalance.jpg (88.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by inspire; 01-09-2024 at 12:07 AM. Reason: I added a photo