Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-29-2004, 07:49 PM

Default scripting Pro Tools; automation

Anyone know the best way to create a script to do the following:

1.) Open Pro Tools
2.) creat a new session
3.) title it the current date
4.) create 3 audio tracks, set the I/O
5.) enter record mode

I will be doing this on a Mac, which I don't know too well. If it were a PC I would write a simple VBscript or something to send keystrokes. I am hearing things about Quickeys. Would this be the best way?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 09-30-2004, 05:13 AM

Default Re: scripting Pro Tools; automation

::bump:: anyone?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 09-30-2004, 05:57 AM

Default Errr?

Firstly, what is Pro Tools LE 6.5? (Never heard of it - Last version we have is 6.4).

Secondly, the 'script' you are asking about gets you to a position which would normally only be two or three clicks away if you make a pre-defined "template" with your input & output options etc.
i.e. Launch Pro Tools...Open Template/Session....Record.

How pressed for time are you?

Furthermore, I don't understand why you would want to 'automate' the launching of Pro Tools in the manner you have described. My advice, (in my humble opinion as Sound Engineer for TLT in France) is that it is good practice to check & double-check all connections and routings prior to recording, rather than just jump directly from "switch on" to "record".

It depends on the types of projects you are creating, but as a time-saver, your idea could lose you valuable data or not record it in the first place!

Of course, if you would like to discuss your 'script' idea, please explain further and maybe I can help.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Errr?

Ok. First off, I should mention I am primarily a PC user. On my PC, I am running Avid Pro Tools LE 6.5.1. We (my band) also has a Mac G4 which we use only for recording live jams (room microphones only with a 001). It is basically just to keep track off all our material we are working on when writing music. The process we use with our Mac is very redundent. The idea is this...

- We show up to band practice
- We run the script
- We start jaming
- We run another script (stop recording, bounce to disk (MP3), saves to a shared folder that is on our network that is linked to our web server)
- We leave band practice and go home
- Wake up the next morning, go to work, log into our web server, review our material from the night before
- No questions asked, no talking about it, it just happens

As of this moment we are very close to this goal. The only difference is that we do everything manually in Pro Tools. The reason for the scripting isn't just because we are lazy, but it would also keep things better organized. We wouldn't worry about file naming conventions, etc. The idea is to keep everything exact and automated to the point where we don't even have to think about it. Again, this idea might seem strange but this is just for our live jam setup. When we record for real, it is a different story altogether. Thanks.

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 09-30-2004, 07:14 AM

holy sh*t...i remember when rehearsals meant hiding the singers weed and picking a new metallica song to cover...

the times they are a changin'...cheers to you BERMASTER sounds like an efficient music making process...rock out with your c*ck out...

detroitkruk
Old 09-30-2004, 07:47 AM

Thanks. We are really trying to do crazy things with the internet and Pro Tools. That is just one of them. Glad to see someone thinks it's a cool idea.

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 09-30-2004, 08:55 AM

Here is what I do with my band.

I have my system set up to launch Protools on startup OSX. To do this, open "System Preferences" under Apple, select your account under "System", select "Startup items" and add your Protools application.

I made a session that has the tracks that I need to record our jams. I keep this session titled "band jam temp" on the hardrive we use.

I copy the session to a new folder and name it with the jam date before we start. Make sure to allocate your recording to the proper folder and hardrive.

By the time we are tuned up and ready to start I'm ready to go.(my drums are usually set up).

All the audio files are time stamped for future reference.

I create mp3 files using itunes and dump to my ipod. I listen, edit jams into song forms create mp3's and dump again to my ipod for writing lyrics.

I find it a really good idea to archive all jams so that if there is a dispute about songwriting credit the jam can be pulled up and referenced.

Works great for us.

Norm
Old 09-30-2004, 08:59 AM

Very cool. You still have to bounce to disk though, right?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7
Old 09-30-2004, 09:44 AM

Yes you do if you use more than one mic. A lot of the time I just position a 414 in omni in the room and record the jams that way. This saves time as you can then import the whole file into itunes very quickly. You do of course have to bounce to disk the song forms that you edit. I often wish that I could just set up for recording and leave it for the jams, but alas I use my studio for work and that means I have to tear down. Oh well at least I'm writing and getting ready to record my music.

Norm
Old 09-30-2004, 10:42 AM

Yeah. I was thinking of maybe doing something like this. I use 3 tracks for live recording jams. 2 condenser mics in the room and 1 line from our PA. Maybe I can bus the tracks to another stereo track while recording. I can then bring the one stereo track into iTunes after. If I ever want to do some readjusting, I would still have the original 3 tracks to work with, but for the quick and dirty bounces, I would be all set. Does that sound right?

Digi 002, Pro Tools LE 7