Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-16-2002, 09:36 AM

Default Hard rock band demo

My first hardrock demo completely done with digi001/PTle
I engineered, edited, mixed and mastered myself.
I'm also the guitarist/songwriter.

Check 'em out at:

http://www.kickinstone.com/studio1.html

Steve
Old 12-16-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Hard rock band demo

P&G song:
hey, i like it !!!!
good band, good song and good guitar sound ! for a first demo, this rocks !!
the guitar is leaning to the right. make it proper stereo. i don't really like the snare sound, but i guess in this type of music it's perfectly right (?). or maybe it's the sort of gated reverb on the snare....
the delay on the voice i don't really would do, because it makes the voice a bit cluttered.
(i like the the sound of the singer, very good singer )
maybe the kick could use some bite, and the ride can get a bit more detail in the upper freq.
the bass is a bit undefined because the guitars are also in the low freq, so try to make them work together.
overall: i think you did a great job, this is one of the best i heard on this forum !!!
greetings, tantejo.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:53 PM

Wow! This is shaking serious ass. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Excellent tune, pure hard-rock feel. The guitar balance is a little too much on the right, especially on the verse. I love the verse guitar riff.

I'd say the vocals have too much reverb, or at least they sound to far away. If you can make them more present they would blend better with the guitars. Right now, it's: guitars in your face, snare in the back, and vocals way far away. I think you could tighten it all a bit with a wiser use of the reverbs.

One more thing: your vocals sound distorted, although I can't put my finger on where the disto comes from.....it's like you have a track of double vocals that adds disto or something....if this is done on purpose I'm not a fan of the choice of the distortion tone (and if you've heard my stuff you know I'm a distortion lover!). The worse spot to hear that distortion I'm talking about is 3:08 to 3:14 into the song.

But other than that, great mix, great tune.

6am eternal
Old 12-16-2002, 04:09 PM

Just listened to P & G. Great overall. I kinda liked the snare. The first break is nice with the snare ringing a bit.

It was a bit over driven as it came to me, clipping a lot. I had to lower the V of the quicktime which I have never had to do before.

And here I thought Dead River Studio was a bluegrass type of thing, weeeehooo! yaah, yaah!! rattler dancin', kick mule...nope

Really nice sound!

Sean
Old 12-16-2002, 06:26 PM

Really excellent sound.

What's the vocal mic. I really need a new one bad. I like yours, and can't imagine how you couold say the vocal sounds far away. I can hear the slime on his tonsils!

I think the bass drum's light and the bass player got screwed.

My two cents

Old Timer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 06:33 PM

Listened again, and I think you've run into the A/D conversion problem..You notice how the cymbals don't really sizzle? Maybe it's just me.. Ignore this if you haven't noticed this or you're using an outboard A/D converter I don't hear.

Old Timer [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 08:14 PM

nice job.
ya...theres a bit of clippin on the mp3 (listened to the first track...p&G)
how did you record the guitar? sounds great!
the cymbals have a bad digital sound. maybe its the digi.
i agree the bass could be up a bit in the mix.
the vocals rip!!
nice job man
Old 12-16-2002, 08:47 PM

Smokin good, I echo Kickin's review...

Congradulations!

Nice to hear this music is still being made [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-18-2002, 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback...Yes, I tended to record things hotter than they needed to be and then when subbing things like the vocals, I ran into some clipping issues. My singer can really push it, he's unreal. Things got better as I recorded each song though.
I am the guitarist so I guess I'm a bit bias in the mix, maybe I'll relevel the bass, and the kick. And the stereo image concerns me cause I thought it was good, i'll relisten.
The original snare kind of rots, so I samples a snare from a D4, not a good choice but all I had and I mixed the two. So that's the reason for the snare sound. I need to get a hold of some good snare samples.
The vocals were record using a Nueman TLM 103 and the guitars were recorded using a 57 and a shure MD 421, and there's some solos and fills done with the POD.
The synth in "slipped away" is the koblo-tokyo demo software.
The cymbals may sound like crap because I EQ'd the crap out of them to cut off all the low frequencies coming off the drums (probably not a smart thing to do but as a first attempt I'm still experimenting). Getting a better overall overhead sound on the drums will be in my next attempt.
It is a little muddy ain't it but I think I'll be able to correct that problem in my next recording project.

Give the other three a listen if you haven't yet.
I'd love to hear more \...Steve
Old 12-18-2002, 10:27 AM

great guitar playing. I agree with the other guys. Do something about that snare cause it's ruining a good song. It's hard to critique the recording because the guitar playing is so good. I guess I'll have to be a more critical listener.
The cymbals/hat sounds too much like their going through an 001. I'd borrow some good convertors or use something like a digimax and bring the cymbals in through light pipe.
You're on the right "track."