How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-29-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk View Post
Fully loaded Mac Mini with PT 2019 and this machine gets so hot with audiosuite that everything slows down due to kernel activity. Restart required and not appreciated. Any suggestions from the group here?
Is this related to this thread and HDX... if not please start your own new thread and try to provide the extra info, and answer to questions asked below there.

What exact model/EMC code and configuration?

What exact symptoms do you see before you restart? What exactly slows does?

What you are saying does not quite make sense. Heat does not cause kernel activity and then slow things down. Certain things Pro Tools or other software is doing may cause lots of CPU use, including high “kernel activity” and that may get things warm and then the CPU may thermal throttle.

How much kernel activity? when? Is it caused by specific things you are doing with specific plugins?

You need to try to work out what is going on.

You should exclude memory leaks in plugins... do you get out of memory warnings? What is your disk cache set to? What does the Mac activity monitor show is happening with total memory usage as Pro Tools is running up until you have to restart?

What troubleshooting have you tried? Start with Trashing prefs. Moving .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder. Testing with other unrelated sessions or starting with empty sessions. Is the system optimized?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-29-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:45 PM

While in the topic - is anyone using HDX successful with a Sonnet TB3 enclosure? Sonnet still list it as incompatible, so I assume it still doesn’t work?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:45 AM

Good morning!

Reviving this thread. Anyone else have experiences to share having moved from a 5,1 12 core Cheese grater HDX system to a 2018 maxed out Mac Mini with the HDX card in a TB chassis?
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 11-20-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
Good morning!

Reviving this thread. Anyone else have experiences to share having moved from a 5,1 12 core Cheese grater HDX system to a 2018 maxed out Mac Mini with the HDX card in a TB chassis?
Yes, working great here. TB3 is still unsupported by Avid and will cause problems. I'm using the Sonnet Echo Express but you'll have to buy a Sonnet Thunderbolt 2 card and use a Thuderbolt 3 to TB 2 adapter. Also using an OWC Thunderbay. All solid with one HDX card and a Black Magic Intensity Pro video card installed.

The machine does get pretty warm to the touch but I downloaded an app called Fanny to check my CPU temps and it's all within range. The hottest I've seen it was 68 degrees Celsius. Intel says the max temp for that processor is 100 Celsius, and I've seen no slowdowns whatsoever. Very fast machine and so far very pleased.

NOTE: Sonnet knows about the TB3 issue and they say Avid does as well and Avid is working on it. But I contacted Avid support and they say they have no timeline on TB3 support. Sonnet is giving $50 off the TB2 card for Avid users. Look here.

Last edited by audiobob; 11-20-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:54 AM

Hi folks!

We have found the Mac mini to run extremely hot (yes within the approved range) but it is unusual and slightly off Putting how hot it gets. Also, we do find the machine can easily get sluggish. This is a full maxed out Mac Mini. We have been testing one editorial suite but we have 10 stages that need to upgrade. So we are concerned. Any other pros out there getting good results with HD and Expansion with HDX and HD Native cards?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hi folks!

We have found the Mac mini to run extremely hot (yes within the approved range) but it is unusual and slightly off Putting how hot it gets. Also, we do find the machine can easily get sluggish. This is a full maxed out Mac Mini. We have been testing one editorial suite but we have 10 stages that need to upgrade. So we are concerned. Any other pros out there getting good results with HD and Expansion with HDX and HD Native cards?
Mine will get warm to the touch but never above 68 Celsius. The hottest that processor should run, from what I understand, is 100 Celsius so well within rage. Idle for hours it runs 41C. At average use it's around 58 to 61. I have not experienced sluggishness. It's been stable and very fast. HDX with Sonnet PICe expansion.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Mine will get warm to the touch but never above 68 Celsius. The hottest that processor should run, from what I understand, is 100 Celsius so well within rage. Idle for hours it runs 41C. At average use it's around 58 to 61. I have not experienced sluggishness. It's been stable and very fast. HDX with Sonnet PICe expansion.

Thank you. I’m going to buy another to give it a shot. I have found that there are lemons sometimes when purchasing macs.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Hi folks!

We are running a maxed out Mac Mini with HDX-1 / Sonnet PCIe expansion chassis at work. I recently added a Sonnet eGPU chassis and a RX580 graphics card instead of using the built-in GPU, and I believe the Mac Mini runs both cooler and smoother now. I have no scientific evidence or numbers to back this up, it just feels smoother .

Stein Tore
Old 01-05-2020, 01:03 PM

I'm doing the same - the eGPU seems to make the redraw feel a bit smoother - running 2x4k displays, and 1 1080p monitor.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
I ended up putting my Mini on a Laptop cooling pad just to help with ventilation. Not sure it makes much of a difference but can't hurt..