Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 AM

Default Digi Strike vs. BFD, EZ, DKFH, etc..Users?

First, I did a search and did not find many posts on Digi Strike and how it compares sound wise to BFD and the likes.

I would like to hear from users that have other plugs and how it compares - a few more questions.

1. Why do the demos sound weak yet the media file (video at Strike page) sounds superb?

2. On this Video, it says join me on the next video for part II of Digi Strike but there is no video II or part II, where is this

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Digi Strike vs. BFD, EZ, DKFH, etc..Users?

Wow, either Stike is really new or not that many have yet?

I have BFD, EZ, DKFH2, Groove Angent and there has to be some here that have others and Strike, surely this must be so.

If so, please chime in on the experience, sound comparisons, etc and inspirational vaule as I read its inspiring to use.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:13 PM

I have DrumCore and StylusRMX. I like both of them.

Drumcore is very quick to get going and version 2 adds a lot of flexibility.

Stylus is just awesome if you're into creative drum and percussion parts. I also have a couple of the SAGE expanders (BackBeat and RetroFunk). They offer more realistic drums.

Drumcore certainly sounds real. Can't comment on the other programs.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 AM

Musicsup;
Surprised no one has chimed in on Strike. As far as being an inspiration to use, it is and the reasons why are many. Could sum that up by saying Strike is an extremely clever, very deep, new age drum machine.
If you're looking for comparisons between BFD and it, probably can fill you in a little there because I only use Strike as a sound source to build convincing drum tracks/trigger source. Not as a beat box per say although it's just as at home in that regard too.
Although Strike presently ships with only five drum kits, it's what you can do with those five that would take BFD + several refill kits to achieve. The signal routing within Strike is not only well thought out but mind boggling. As are the sample munging capabilities. As an example, you can take X snare and change its characteristics enough to get an almost infinite number of natural sounding snares out of the one. Course, if you aren't looking for natural, then that can be done too. Strike also includes its own set of {too many to list} digital signal processing plugins and even about fifteen different mic choices that can be used on a per kit piece basis. Speaking of Strike's plugins and back to BFD/refills, in order to get low-fi, you'd buy 8 bit Kit. One of Strikes DSP plugins {bit crusher} you can apply and get the same thing... {just an example of one plugin but there's dynamics, EQ, reverb, different types of modulation effects... on and on}
In the output section, gotta say the inclusion of routing the kit thru a talk back mic was an utter stroke of genius. Talk about in your face drums!
Are there down sides? Sure. Strike is a RAM guzzler and doesn't stream. Too, I wish one could wipe the entire keyboard of note assignments and place kit articulations exactly where you want/need them. As is, a user is stuck with GM note assignments with the exception of {what I'd call} a small trigger/user assignable area at the top of the keyboard. That area just doesn't leave enough notes to assign a full kit's worth of articulations or even put kit samples in locations that make sense. Not sure I understand why this feature was ignored because not everyone uses GM note assignments. And {my opinion} GM note assignments are just plain awkward for sequencing drums from a keyboard surface. Last downside, because Strike is deep/clever, it takes patients and use to understand... Don't pretend to know all about it but even a couple downsides considered, Strike kicks booty!
Brent
Old 12-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Thanks, there is also some talk in the other forums as well...

Thank you!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:34 AM

I have BFD, DKFH, STYLUS and STRIKE. Haven't used BFD or DKFH in a while.

All have their signature features that make them "better" than one another. Strike does not "sound" any better that the others...It's the ease of use for composing that I beleive makes it essential. If I had pre programmed Midi I would go to BFD/DKFH as the sampler of choice but if I am creating and writing than I think STRIKE is a killer. The idea while not new, of penciling in one midi note extended the length of the part is fantastic. I often find that after listening to a part for some time, that I change my mind on the feel and all you do is drag the one note already drawn to a differant midi note on the piano roll and you have a whole new feel.

It really is a great time to be a composer...I can only imagine what it will be like in a couple of years...

Ross