Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 AM

Default Used 'case sensitive journaled' drive for backup by accident. Problem?

Hi all, I just realised that a 3tb backup external drive i'm using has been formatted using 'Mac Os Extended (case sensitive journaled)' rather than just 'Mac Os Extended (journaled)' as recommended by AVID.

Do I need to wipe & start over again, or will it be ok ?

cheers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Used 'case sensitive journaled' drive for backup by accident. Problem?

Aggh. Right i've re-formatted the thing 'Mac Os Extended (journaled)' just to be sure, but if I try to play back a session from it, I get 'DAE Error 35'.

I know it's a USB drive & it's not recommended, but in practice i've used USB drives all the time for smaller sessions.

Any idea why no session will play back from this drive? I even partitioned it into three 1TB partitions in case the size is an issue, but still no dice.

To be clear, I only want to use this as a backup drive, but i do want to at least check that a Pro Tools session at least loads from it !

Logic sessions, & anything else i copy to it play back just fine..

It's a Seagate 'Free agent' drive. It comes USB as standard, but you can buy a widget that you plug into the back that makes it firewire. Do I need this ? Anyone have experience using this type of drive?

Am i doing anything really stupid before i send it back ?

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...wBA#ps-sellers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Used 'case sensitive journaled' drive for backup by accident. Problem?

copy the backup back to your audio-drive again and test, if it will load and play okay

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 AM

Hi,

I have to dismount all USB drives when running PT as they cause problems and slow things down. I only use them to copy sessions to when i want to store them for possible recall later.

Free agent drives i think are 5400rpm and probably don't have fast seek times and much ram. could even be a green drive!

Anything else connected to the USB bus?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 AM

Perhaps confirm that Spotlight is definitely disabled for that drive....
Also, check that it's not being put to sleep in Energy settings.

In Playback settings, perhaps fiddle with the DAE playback buffer settings.... It might be that the drive's seek time is too slow for PT's default settings.

While AVID recommend not using USB drives for PT, you should be able to get *something* out of it...

I've run about 20 tracks of audio on the system drive of a 2003 Titanium Powerbook (which has a 4200RPM IDE drive), so it's definitely do-able on USB....

If the option to use FireWire is there though, definitely take it... It's a far superior protocol for larger data rate transfer...... A 5400RPM drive, while not ideal, is fine for small track counts (assuming as Chris said, that cache size etc are ok)

I know of guys running largish Ableton sets streaming from USB flash drives... So USB of itself, though not perfect for PT, should have some useability....
Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Hi all, thanks for the replies...still no joy.

A session with a single track of audio on it, when copied to this drive gives 'DAE Error 35' instantly on attempted opening....i've used *loads* of other USB drives for Protools, & whilst the performance isn't up to SATA/Firewire, this is a different problem entirely.

Could anyone from AVID chip in please ? This drive has no problems with any other type of file...just playing back PT sessions...there has to be something obvious i've missed here...read/write permissions or similar...

Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
copy the backup back to your audio-drive again and test, if it will load and play okay

Btw, no it doesn't...if i copy a session to the drive, then back to my internal drive, the session won't play ! Pretty mysterious ! It's like it's doing something to session permissions or suchlike on copy...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Avid

This is most likely a consequence of moving sessions to and from a case sensitive drive.

That DAE Error is actually a Mac OS error - "No such volume; volume not found".

This may also be the consequence of using a Hackintosh, which are not supported and may have issues we're unaware of.

Do you have copies of the sessions available that were BEFORE moving them to the USB drive? If so, disconnect the USB drive and try opening one of those sessions. If it works, you should do a Save Copy In (and copy all audio files) to the USB drive and test again.

Keep in mind that USB drives on Mac are not supported for various reasons.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This is most likely a consequence of moving sessions to and from a case sensitive drive.

That DAE Error is actually a Mac OS error - "No such volume; volume not found".

This may also be the consequence of using a Hackintosh, which are not supported and may have issues we're unaware of.

Do you have copies of the sessions available that were BEFORE moving them to the USB drive? If so, disconnect the USB drive and try opening one of those sessions. If it works, you should do a Save Copy In (and copy all audio files) to the USB drive and test again.

Keep in mind that USB drives on Mac are not supported for various reasons.

Hi there, thanks for the reply..& yes, it's duly noted that i'm using an 'unsupported system', so on my own head be it.

But back looking for a potential cure..

1) The drive is now re-formatted using regular Mac OS Extended Journaled - totally clean drive
2) I have three other USB drives which are all run sessions just fine with both my Hackintosh rigs.

So I created a brand new session on an internal SATA drive, & dragged a track into it from iTunes. Then i 'saved a copy in' my USB drive.

On trying to open it...instant DAE error 35

This drive btw, does support firewire with an adaptor:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...wBA#ps-sellers

Is it worth me spending the money on the adaptor ? I only want to use it for backup

All/any suggestions welcome please

Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Avid

Sounds to me like that drive is bad in some way - either with internal connections, a bad controller board or the drive itself is experiencing a problem. If you can work with other USB drives without issue and this is the only one experiencing the problem, it's almost certainly something about the drive itself causing it.