Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Default ProTools LE and Motif ES 6

Hi Everyone

I'm having trouble using ProTools LE 7.3.1 / MBOX 2 / MacBook Pro 17" and using Motif (keyboard) in song mode.

I set the song mode in Motif. But I can't see where to change the patches for each MIDI channel. I love the sounds on the Motif but it's the most un-intuitive keyboard. Can anyone help me?

Also, in ProTools, I set the Midi channel for a track, but when I click on the patch names to browse, it says something like Can't Find Compatible Device. I'd like to be able to change patches via ProTools or Motif itself by midi channel.

I added the Motif device in the xml files that describe midi devices but no luck.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Default Re: ProTools LE and Motif ES 6

Getting the program changes to work is not easy, but it can be done. I've done it a few times with client's Motifs, but don't have one of my own so I'm gonna have to try this from memory:

You first need the Motif ES .midnam file from digicake, which goes in Library->Audio->MIDI Patch Names->Digidesign->Yamaha. You then also need to edit (using TextEdit) the "Digidesign Device List.middev" file in Library->Audio->MIDI Devices and add the Motif ES as a device in that file. From what I remember you need to use the exact same lettering/wording as the .midnam file when adding the device in the Device List file (caps and space sensitive). You can use the normal Motif entry in there as a template. Basically ProTools looks to the Device list, which looks to the .midnam files for the patch info, so all must be identical in name so that the chain works.

There is a utility called Cherry Picker which can also be used to edit the .midnam files, but I don't think I needed to use it for the Motif if I remember right, I think I used that for when I needed to add expansion card patch names to someone's Roland XV5080 or something. There's a chance you might need to use it to change the .midnam file to be PT compatible (depending on the device, some of the stuff from digicake is DP friendly, some is PT friendly, but Cherry Picker can convert them). Anyway, good luck, it's a PITA to be sure, but hopefully that gets you moving in the right direction.

Oh, and for the settings on the Motif - song mode sounds right, but I think there's also a 'mixing' button or something you can press to get a better overall view of each channel - once you're on the mixing page you can cursor between the channels and changes patches manually using the motif if you want.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM

Hi Slim

Thank you very much. I'll give it a shot and let you know. I really appreciate your time.

Cheers!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:26 AM

I used to have the Motif Rack ES and now have the Motif XS6.
Yes the sounds are great. For me the best workflow is sequencing in PT Le and controlling the Motif via Yamaha's Studio Connections Software with the Motif Editor installed. You get tons of control with saving and recall including the ability to search patches and arps.

You can download form here; Motif Editor
Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 AM

Do I have to use a USB cable?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Do I have to use a USB cable?

Thanks.
Yes you do need to connect the Motif to your Macbook. This can be done either via a usb cable or by connecting the MIDI in and out of your Mbox to the MIDI in out on your Motif. You then need to set the the motif to the relevant port USB or MIDI under utilities.

You can find out more more about using the Motif at the Motifator Forums.
MOTIFATOR FORUMS