Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2023, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Everyone stop using ARA right now

I've never had any Melodyne data corrupted, and I use it on nearly every song. However, sometimes I don't see any notes in the Melodyne window. In this case I have to deactivate and reactivate Melodyne on BGV2.

In addition, it's not clear at all to me how to switch between tracks in the Melodyne window. For example, I can edit BGV1 with no problem, but when I want to move on to BGV2 I have to deactivate and reactivate Melodyne on BGV2. Just clicking on the BGV2 track won't work (whether I click on the audio clip, or the track name, or on the Elastic Audio and ARA Plugin Selector, it just won't switch to the new track)

How do you guys switch back and forth between tracks? I have Melodyne Assistant.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 08-06-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
...Still running 2022/10. ...
Issue may have been addressed in 2023.6 - from the release notes:
"ARA Melodyne edits are no longer lost when reopening a session containing
a Clip Group hosting the clips with rendered ARA Melodyne edits (PT-300280)"

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-06-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
...How do you guys switch back and forth between tracks? I have Melodyne Assistant.
Upper LH corner of the melodyne window, open the tracks sidebar (2nd icon from the left) to display all editing tracks - select/deselect/multi-select/reference are all available.

Also under "Options" menu there are options to follow clip selection, cursor, etc...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-06-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Upper LH corner of the melodyne window, open the tracks sidebar (2nd icon from the left) to display all editing tracks - select/deselect/multi-select/reference are all available.

Also under "Options" menu there are options to follow clip selection, cursor, etc...
Hi Rich, I have only an Info Pane and a Compare button. The Tracks sidebar is only for the Studio version of Melodyne.

EDIT: It's sorted. When it doesn't work to simply click on a clip, I can always right click on the track name > Melodyne > Edit. Sometimes the Melodyne data just doesn't load, and this seems to fix it.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 08-06-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
I've never had any Melodyne data corrupted, and I use it on nearly every song. However, sometimes I don't see any notes in the Melodyne window. In this case I have to deactivate and reactivate Melodyne on BGV2.

In addition, it's not clear at all to me how to switch between tracks in the Melodyne window. For example, I can edit BGV1 with no problem, but when I want to move on to BGV2 I have to deactivate and reactivate Melodyne on BGV2. Just clicking on the BGV2 track won't work (whether I click on the audio clip, or the track name, or on the Elastic Audio and ARA Plugin Selector, it just won't switch to the new track)

How do you guys switch back and forth between tracks? I have Melodyne Assistant.
Hi chrismeraz!
From the written above I can guess that those clips you can't see notes are just not ARA analysed. This could happen for the clips placed on a sample-based audio track when you have made Melodyne -> Edit command using Clip menu for one of many clips of this track. This action will activate Melodyne for the track, but ARA analysis happening only for clip(s) in selection. When you activate the Melodyne via EA-picker dropdown menu or via Track -> Melodyne -> Edit command, all currently placed on the track clips will be analyzed (but not the new one that arrived later).

Tick-based audio track behaves differently. All the clips on such tracks with Melodyne plug-in enabled will be analyzed automatically.

Yeah, and check the "follow clip selection" checkbox under "Options" menu of the Melodyne plug-in. However, this option works for the ARA analyzed clips only.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadym View Post
Hi chrismeraz!
From the written above I can guess that those clips you can't see notes are just not ARA analysed.
Hi Vadym, you're right, the clips were not analysed.

The confusion comes from an apparent bug caused by edit groups.

If I have all my BGV's in an edit group, and I select Melodyne for one of them, all the BGV tracks will show Melodyne in the ARA Selector. However, only the first one is actually analysed.

Do you want to look into it and make sure all tracks in a group are analyzed if this happens? I think it would be the logical way of working.

I'm using the latest version of PT Studio and MacOS.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 08-07-2023, 07:20 PM

rrrrr. Just warning a client who was about to upgrade his rig so he could use DNA. On the phone with him now, And the session I spent all morning on? Just reopened (we had a tornado roll through so had to close it at dinner). And, all the Melodyne ARA stuff has to be redone. I've been a Melodyne user since 07 or 08. I've been a beta tester for Celemony. Now we're all beta testers. So frustrating. And a morning lost.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:53 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
rrrrr. Just warning a client who was about to upgrade his rig so he could use DNA. On the phone with him now, And the session I spent all morning on? Just reopened (we had a tornado roll through so had to close it at dinner). And, all the Melodyne ARA stuff has to be redone. I've been a Melodyne user since 07 or 08. I've been a beta tester for Celemony. Now we're all beta testers. So frustrating. And a morning lost.
Could you remember what was the workflow you made this morning before closing the session (not just before closing, but from the session opening)?
What kind of tracks, source files imported with Link or Copy option, multiple imports of the same file/clip, same source files for the other session with ARA, Track timebase transition, anything?
To fix the bug we need a repro on our end.
If you have a normal backup session file at some middle point - compare it with the last broken version and say what was made in between.

(Wait, you mean the session was moved to another computer, and ARA data was lost there? Is it still good on your side?)
Old 08-08-2023, 04:09 AM
Avid

Quote:
The confusion comes from an apparent bug caused by edit groups.

If I have all my BGV's in an edit group, and I select Melodyne for one of them, all the BGV tracks will show Melodyne in the ARA Selector. However, only the first one is actually analysed.

Do you want to look into it and make sure all tracks in a group are analyzed if this happens? I think it would be the logical way of working.

I'm using the latest version of PT Studio and MacOS.
Yeah, this is definitely an issue. Thanks for the info! Not sure if the fix will fit into the upcoming release, but the next one is most likely. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadym View Post
Yeah, this is definitely an issue. Thanks for the info! Not sure if the fix will fit into the upcoming release, but the next one is most likely. Thanks again!
Vadym, I just noticed in the Pro Tools guide, chapter 16 (page 318 in the 2023.3 version of this guide), it says "Grouping does not affect Elastic Audio Plugins." You should probably get together with your Avid counterparts and decide whether or not this will apply to ARA Plugins as well.

I know you're getting a lot of negative feedback in this thread but I think you and your colleagues are doing great things. ARA integration for Melodyne is something I wanted from the first moment I started using Melodyne back in 2010, way before I knew it was possible. It's so much better than the old way and a lot of folks really appreciate it.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr